cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy’s Ran Credit Check For New Card Instead of Finding Existing Account...???

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
New Visitor

Macy’s Ran Credit Check For New Card Instead of Finding Existing Account...???

So frustrated and taking a moment to calm down before yelling at someone in a call center. Has this happened to anyone? I recently popped in to buy a gift card for a Christmas gift, and asked the woman if she could locate my account, as I didn’t have my card on me. She indicated it would be no problem. Entered my social, and she eventually said it didn’t work and that she would try again. The second time didn’t work either, so I just paid with another card and went on my way. I have a credit on the account and never had a late payment over 10+ years, so I didn’t think much of it and just resolved to try to remember my card next time.

So today, I receive a letter explaining my new credit card application was denied because Macy’s “does not permit the opening of multiple accounts of the same product...”

Ugh. I’m pretty sure this was a brand new, short-term employee hired for the holiday season who just pushed the wrong button by accident, but I’m worried somewhere in the prompts I okay’ed them to run a credit check, even though that’s not at all what was discussed.

Has this happened to anyone else? Were you able to get the inquiry removed? Would appreciate any tips on dealing with Macy’s CS. Have never had to contact them before.
2 REPLIES 2
Regular Contributor

Re: Macy’s Ran Credit Check For New Card Instead of Finding Existing Account...???

Yes...to a girl friend of mine. It was with Sears. Citi is the same issuer for Macys and Sears. Only she was given the OK to charge, but it was with a new card. She did not realize it until the new card came in the mail a week later. 

FICO 8 Avg.: 755 FICO 9 Avg.: 820 Total Rev CL: $398,000 BANK of AMERICA CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/USBANK/AMEX/NORDSTROM/ MACYS/BARCLAYS/FNBO/JCPENNY/SEARS/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/AAoA 15 years
Message 2 of 3
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Macy’s Ran Credit Check For New Card Instead of Finding Existing Account...???

Welcome OP

Oh wow, I really understand your frustration. I know I would be beside myself with rage.

However, once you have calmed down, call customer service and remember it’s not the rep on the other end of the lines fault when you explain what happened.

If you don’t get any satisfaction, ask to speak to a supervisor. If that doesn’t work, you may have to dispute it.

GL2U
GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 800
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.