Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining credit lines in the recession

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maintaining credit lines in the recession

Hello all.  

Recently in the news it appears that credit issuers are starting to decreasing limits without notice.  Just wondering what the best options are here to keep these lines through the recession.  Would it be better to keep balances and make minimum payments or to pay off balances a leave 10% on the cards?  We have Cap1, CreditOne, and Indigo with 30% utilization and are currently rebuilding if that makes any difference. Thank you for any opnions or strategies.  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maintaining credit lines in the recession

It's probably best to pay off your cards in full for rebuild.

It's unlikely those cards would be subject to credit limit decrease or closure; they're low limits already, and you pay for some of them like Credit One/Indigo.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your suggestion.  I would just hate to pay these all down then lose the limits.  Looking back at 2008 it appears that happened often.

@Anonymous wrote:

It's probably best to pay off your cards in full for rebuild.

It's unlikely those cards would be subject to credit limit decrease or closure; they're low limits already, and you pay for some of them like Credit One/Indigo.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't find the article but I read it the other day:

Sub prime lenders actually performed better in recovering from the last recession, due to the fact that their clients are usually always in a state of recession.

They don't have much of a reason to pull in their lines, since their risk levels haven't increased as much, compared to major/prime lenders. Also, those prime lenders give out much higher limits, so in past financial crisis, those higher limits posed much higher risks if defaulted on.

Here's an article about Capital One's sub-prime practices, they make a lot from many borrowers: https://newrepublic.com/article/155212/worked-capital-one-five-years-justified-piling-debt-poor-cust... 

Message 4 of 13
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Try not paying minimum payments if you can help it. Many CC companies flag consecutive minimum payments and eventually decrease your CL. Always try to pay double the minimum or follow your statement full payout in three years plan.

You don't need to have a balance and pay int. It dose not help your score. As long as you have one CC reporting very little amount you should be good.

You are rebuilding so focus on that first. Reduce your balance as much as you can to avoid wasting money on high int.

Message 5 of 13
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering what the best options are here to keep these lines through the recession. 

Third Option: pif

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Try to always pay 3x+ your minimum or 2x at the very least.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think there's anything a person can do to stave off CLD's or even closures during economic downturns. You just have to continue doing the norm.

This IMO is not a recession, it's merely a byproduct of what some call a pandemic. Due to the circumstances people unable to travle and are spending less because they're unsure ATM.  Now if people are not able to return to work or if more layoffs happen, then we will likley suffer an actual recession.

Message 8 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think there's anything a person can do to stave off CLD's or even closures during economic downturns. You just have to continue doing the norm.

This IMO is not a recession, it's merely a byproduct of what some call a pandemic. Due to the circumstances people unable to travle and are spending less because they're unsure ATM.  Now if people are not able to return to work or if more layoffs happen, then we will likley suffer an actual recession.

What do you mean by "some calling it pandemic" 

It is a pandemic,  look up a definition of one if you need to. I mean really, what would you call it? 

On top of being a pandemic, it happens to be a pandemic with severe repercussions on world economy,  not just USA. 

@Anonymous As far as how lenders are going to behave...well, they are going to be twitchy. When you're rebuilding,  those limits tend to be relatively low, so most likely nothing will happen to them

Carrying a balance wont help you any, and it can create situation worse for you, because interest on those cards is always high. 

Pay in full and roll with whatever. 

Message 9 of 13
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Uh, yeah. It's a pandemic and the worldwide economic repercussions are pretty catastrophic. There's really no question about it. 

I think taking a conservative approach is best, and hold off on applying for too many new things (if at all). PIF whenever possible or make 2-3x the minimum payment. Keep your pattern consistent and hopefully that won't raise any flags. Use cards to rebuild but don't rely on them to sustain you. That will always backfire.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.