Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Credit cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Managing Credit cards.

Hi,
I am a student and current do not have an SSN. However I do have a citi thankyou and an American express credit card. My goal is to drop the thankyou card and get a citi double rewards card as it offers a better cash back. Later on I would want to get a chase freedom card for the same reason. I am choosing these particular cards only for the benefits.I have never missed a balance so far. What is the best approach to achieve my goal without hitting my credit history later on. Please advice.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Managing Credit cards.

By NEVER missing a payment is your best chance of advancing your credit journey. 

YET is not an option! Good Luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the best approach to achieve my goal without hitting my credit history later on.

It's all going to hit your credit history.  I'm guessing you mean with minimal negative impact?  It's difficult to say as it really depends on your credit.  To open a new account you're going to incur a hard pull and take a hit to your AAoA.  You could possibly avoid those with the DoubleCash if Citi will allow to to PC your ThankYou card into a DoubleCash card.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the best approach to achieve my goal without hitting my credit history later on.

It's all going to hit your credit history.  I'm guessing you mean with minimal negative impact?  It's difficult to say as it really depends on your credit.  To open a new account you're going to incur a hard pull and take a hit to your AAoA.  You could possibly avoid those with the DoubleCash if Citi will allow to to PC your ThankYou card into a DoubleCash card.

I agree. I PC'd my ThankYou to the Double Cash this week without any hassle. Six minute phone call and most of that was listening to the rep read the new terms.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, that was a good idea. Over the phone they told me I wasnt eligible to convert my card for some reason. I'll visit the bank . I'm still wondering if all these would get carried on when I later get an SSN or will my credit score start fresh from the time I get the SSN.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiosity, how did you get a credit card without a Social Security Number? I looked into it, myself, and couldn't find a credit card company that would let you apply without one. (Which is stupid, because no credit history is no credit history, with or without a number.)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI bank, American express at costco offer credit card without SSN. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
catienza15
Established Member

I  was able to establish a credit history from my itin then when I got my ssn, all my credit histories from my tin were transfered to my new ssn.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/jatienza15/library/?sort=3&page=1
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.