cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manipulative CMS offers. Don't be fooled.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Manipulative CMS offers. Don't be fooled.

CK is constantly trying to push a personal loan on me for account diversity. But I have an instalment loan already and they know that.

They also give me low/fair odds for all the card recomendations, which makes sense since they have me scored in the 680s. My real ficos are all above 700 😒
Message 11 of 16
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not really sure how it all works but I know a referral that leads to an approval is money in the bank for these kind of sites.  However, does a referral that leads to denial still generate income?  

That's a very good question.

I'm sure they're getting paid for the adverts- applications or no.

A couple of them keep telling me I have "VERY GOOD" odds for Chase.. Yeah Uh huh right.. I'm 8 or 9/24, Chase won't touch me with some other bank's card! 

LOL  That's hilarious, Pikaboo!

Like you I'm toomany/24 yet I'm "pre qualified" all over Chase's site for their best cards and keep getting Chase snail-mailers.  I'm like, "Gurrrlll...Chase, please."   Smiley Wink  It's not just the credit monitoring services that are full of shi*, just because you get a lender's mass mailer doesn't mean they want you, either.

But I think it's great that Brutal posted this because those credit monitoring services can really screw people by loading them down with inquiries and filling their heads with misinformation.  Not to mention demoralizing them with false hope. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do a great job at manipulation.  They target people with these CC or loan offers, then use their fluff software to further paint an incorrect picture, further imparing judgment. 

For example, you see a bunch of CC offers with "very good" approval odds, then on your summary screen see that having 20+ accounts is "green" according to the fluff software.  You then say to yourself well, I only have 7 accounts so I better start opening up more to get closer to green.  Or, you have several CCs and an auto loan, which is already ideal for credit mix.  But, according to the CMS fluff software, 2 types of accounts may only be yellow, where 3 types is green.  The solution?  How about the personal loan offer that's plastered on the screen?!  That must be the best move in order to improve credit mix.  I really do feel bad for those that are uninformed and pull the trigger on these things.  Most will never know that they're not making good decisions, since most will never find this forum or a similar place to tell them the truth.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

And then there's one last aspect of human nature to consider in this mix.  And that is that we are not in fact these autonomous free-floating creatures of reason and judgment, where are all we need is more knowledge and then we'll make the right decisions.  (Plato was wrong.)  Instead we are  deeply driven by emotional needs for which drugs like cocaine become the closest analogue.  Spend a little time hanging out in the myFICO forums, especially in the CC rooms, and you'll see that the next newest shiniest card is like the next prettiest line of snow, the promised rush the person gets.  CC applications involve all kinds of utterly non-rational rewards, including most importantly ego flattery and the raw affirmation we experience when the CC company says Yes You Are Approved.

Thus the misinformation that the CMS supplies permits the person (in many cases) to fool himself into doing something he already wanted to do on other (emotional) grounds.  The CMS becomes a drug pusher diving into a pool of addicts; the misinformation just makes his job that much easier.

Message 14 of 16
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

My personal favorite was the Very Good Odds (both CS and CK) for approval for the AMEX Premier Rewards card. Uh, AMEX pulls Experian Fico 8, so how do you know my actual odds since you use TransUnion Vantage 3.0? When I got approved for the PRG, I went to the AMEX website and apped.

Creditcards.com is almost as bad if not worse. My profile matches the Chase Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and the Sapphire Preferred even though I am gettheficooutofhere/24 and they won't even consider a CLI on their $500 Slate.

Oh, by the way, I'm all the way up to Pre-Approved for the Indigo card according to CK. I think I'll pass on that one.

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bizarrocreditworld wrote:

My personal favorite was the Very Good Odds (both CS and CK) for approval for the AMEX Premier Rewards card. Uh, AMEX pulls Experian Fico 8, so how do you know my actual odds since you use TransUnion Vantage 3.0? When I got approved for the PRG, I went to the AMEX website and apped.

Creditcards.com is almost as bad if not worse. My profile matches the Chase Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and the Sapphire Preferred even though I am gettheficooutofhere/24 and they won't even consider a CLI on their $500 Slate.

Oh, by the way, I'm all the way up to Pre-Approved for the Indigo card according to CK. I think I'll pass on that one.

Cardmatch is lulzy.  I am preapproved for all those chase cards, a fingerhut account, the milestone mastercard, indigo, and the capital one qs1 (which i just closed 6 months ago)

The first three I know for a fact are LOLNO cause im 25/24 and mid 600s anyway, i have fingerhut even if ive never used it, i closed indigo last year, LOLMILESTONE.... you get the idea.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.