Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Accounts

tag
UnderEstimated
Contributor

Medical Accounts

Since looking at my FICO scores, my girlfriend has decided to pull hers.  We didn't expect anything great, since she's only 21 and only has 2 credit cards that have been open for just about a year.  But we soon found out that she has 4 medical bills totaling about $5000 that are listed as chargeoffs.  These medical bills are from when she was involved in a car accident when she was 17/18 years old.  She has never received a bill since she was a FT student and covered under her mom's insurance.  We just found out today that her mom never made any payments towards the bill.  Is there a way to dispute this?  And how?  I know that her mom was claiming her income on her tax returns until this year.

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Accounts

Which are from when she was 17 and which are from when she was 18?
Message 2 of 8
UnderEstimated
Contributor

There are 3 when she was 17 that totals to around $4100 and the other one was around $890 when she was 18.  Neither were in her name since she was covered under her mom's insurance.
Message 3 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Dispute all of them as "not mine". She should not be liable. Also, do some research on medical collections and HIPPA.
Message 4 of 8
UnderEstimated
Contributor

Is there a way to dispute them, correctly?  What I mean is, yes the charges apply to medical treatment she received, but her mother was billed.  What would be the correct way to dispute that?
Message 5 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

You could do "inaccurate".
Message 6 of 8
UnderEstimated
Contributor

We've never disputed before, so this may come off as a dumb question, but do we just call the CRAs, write them a letter, or is there a way to do it online?

Thanks.
Message 7 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

You can do it online.. MyFICO offers a convenient method if you have purchased your reports. Otherwise, you can dispute directly with the CRA via phone, online, or mail.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.