Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Payment Increased

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Minimum Payment Increased

I’m about 2 years fresh out of bankruptcy. I have a handful of credit cards issued by Comenity. Lately, I’ve been receiving emails notifying me that my minimum payment has been increased. I’ve gone from $25 to $35 and, most recently, $38.

My overall usage is under 20% while most of my Comenity cards are at 0% usage. I’ve never had a late payment and always pay more than the minimum. 

I’m  just curious to know if anyone else has experienced the same. Is it normal to increase the minimum payment for no given reason? And , I guess, I’d like to know if

it’s possible to have the minimum pmt amount reduced? TiA!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Minimum Payment Increased

This was the one I got yesterday so it's pretty much across the board for everyone I think

comenity.png

Message 2 of 6
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I’m about 2 years fresh out of bankruptcy. I have a handful of credit cards issued by Comenity. Lately, I’ve been receiving emails notifying me that my minimum payment has been increased. I’ve gone from $25 to $35 and, most recently, $38.

My overall usage is under 20% while most of my Comenity cards are at 0% usage. I’ve never had a late payment and always pay more than the minimum. 

I’m  just curious to know if anyone else has experienced the same. Is it normal to increase the minimum payment for no given reason? And , I guess, I’d like to know if

Pretty sure it's across the board to offset the current rounds of default -- or to accelerate the default rate and clean up their ledgers before the next recession/ down turn 

I don't typically carry a balance on Comenity issued cards because of the interest rates... if you always pay in full, then whatever you charged that month is your minimum payment. 

Several banks have made changes to credit limits, APR's, late fees and minimum payments. Not 100% sure it's not my profile that has them spooked, but pretty sure it's the economy and how they expect the portfolio to ride a storm.

I have more credit available than I could repay in 20 years at this point, so I consider most of these changes "market corrections"... if a bank makes a change that I can't live with, I close the account (CreditOne notified me in January they were going to begin charging me $19 a month in fee's and raise my minimum payment to $36... I closed the account as I was tired of the dance and have better cards that don't charge to be locked in a safe.)

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 6
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's like the saying, "It's not you it's me".

The "you" being YOU and the "me" being Comenity, seems like it's across the board change. I just got my notification of increased minimun payment a few days ago.

So you haven't been targeted and keep doing what you have been doing.

Message 4 of 6
blindambition
Senior Contributor

This is standard practice for all lenders. Mostly fees, but sometimes minimum payments and APR.

Chase raised from $25 to $35 last year. You aren't being targeted. Bank reacting to climate and risk.

Message 5 of 6
angelzrfree
New Contributor

I have a torrid Comenity credit card. They have increased minimum payment starting next month to $39. 

Hey look ma! I’m finally in the 700 club.

March 2020 - (EX) 730 (EQ) 707 (TU) 702

January 2023 - (EX) 772 (EQ) 789 (TU) 789
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.