cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed payments from a year and a half ago messing up my credit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Missed payments from a year and a half ago messing up my credit.

Within the last 18 months I've gotten serious about my credit and making sure all of my cards are paid on time every month. I messed up my credit in my early 20s and now at 29 I want 700+ within a year. As of now, I'm TU 631 Exp 635 Eq 643. However, I'm still getting denied due to "serious delinquencies". I have a Capital One and CreditOne I got when I was rebuilding my credit. I've only had 2 30 day late payments for my CreditOne and My last late payment for the 01/15. I opened that card June 2014 with a 30 day late payment that October. My other one was the capital one I opened June 2012. I've had 5 late payments during that time including a 90 day late payment expanding from 12/2014-03/2015 and my last late payment was exactly a year ago.

In that time, I've added a capital one platinum from November 2015 that started off at 500 that's now 2k. I got 2 store cards during that time with 0 late payments. In the last 90 days, I've added a BOA 99/500 Secured Card, and 3 store cards.

My question is, is it safe to close my capital one and credit one that has the missed payments? Will that improve my payment history and remove the "serious delinquency" from my credit?
5 REPLIES 5
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Re: Missed payments from a year and a half ago messing up my credit.

I doubt closing the cards with late payments will delete them from your report.  If that were the case people would be doing that.  I think your best bet is time -- just keep making on-time payments. 

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closing wont remove the derogs from your credit report/scoring.

You could either request good-will deletion of at least the 90-late, or you could request the creditor delete the entire account.

Thirty and 60-lates are not major derogs.  It would be nice if they would delete all derogs, but getting the 90-late deleted would most remove the major derog.

The account thst was only 30-late is not a problem, as that is only a minor derog.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great advice. Thank you. How do I go about getting a good-will deletion?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Search these forums for good will...You also should visit and post in the rebuilding forum as there is a wealth of information there.

If you do not get the 60 and 90 day lates deleted, they will impact your score for the duration of 7 years.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My question is, is it safe to close my capital one and credit one that has the missed payments? Will that improve my payment history and remove the "serious delinquency" from my credit?

Nope -- closing does not remove negative information.  The impact of lates and derogs is why you must avoid incurring them in the first place.  These are serious red flags to creditors as they indicate that you have or had issues with paying your debts.  Defiintely do whatever it take to avoid them.  As for attempting to remove them -- hit the Rebuilding subforum and carefully research to see what you can do.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.