Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing 1099C for Cancelled Debt Concerned about Tax Filing

tag
icloud987
Contributor

Missing 1099C for Cancelled Debt Concerned about Tax Filing

Hi, I canceled a lot of cc debt in 2021. Some of the banks didn't send me 1099C even after I repeatedly requested it. 

I called several tax filing services consulted about this matter, I am getting mixed opinions.

Some say they would estimate canceled debt amount and file with that. Some say they would file an extension until they get 1099C, Some say they won't mention canceled debt in absence of 1099C, because 1099 C may not arrive until years later in some cases. So I am lost at what is the best course of action. 

Also, did anyone have any success of insolvency for cancellation of debt? I believe I qualify for that. When I consulted several tax services, some said as long as I can prove insolvency before cancellation of debt, it should be ok. Others said if my finance has changed for the better since the cancellation of debt, that may cause issues. 

Please share your experience and insight. Thanks .

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Missing 1099C for Cancelled Debt Concerned about Tax Filing

I used the insolvency route but it was easy because I had a BK filing as proof of insolvency. Some lenders will not send a 1099-C

Message 2 of 5
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I used the insolvency route. The amount on the 1099C was easily more than I had made in that year. I would file for an extension and get the 1099Cs. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 3 of 5
icloud987
Contributor

Thanks,

@Adkins wrote:

I used the insolvency route. The amount on the 1099C was easily more than I had made in that year. I would file for an extension and get the 1099Cs. 

was your insolvency approved?

Message 4 of 5
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@icloud987 wrote:

Thanks,

@Adkins wrote:

was your insolvency approved?

Yes. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.