Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly mortgage payment question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Monthly mortgage payment question?

Thanks for the link, CGID.  Unfortunately the article doesn't touch specifically on the subject of taxes and how they should be considered with respect to monthly mortgage payment.  It does however suggest that lenders would expect one to disclose a monthly mortgage payment that matches what could be seen when reviewing a credit report.  This, to me, suggests that if you taxes are lumped into your mortgage payment [can be seen on credit report as part of the monthly payment] that they this full amount should be disclosed when asked for your monthly housing payment.  It also then suggests, however, that if your taxes are NOT included in this payment that they shouldn't be disclosed at this time as you would be providing your creditor with a number that doesn't closely match what they would find upon manual review of your credit report.  Perhaps this article generates more questions than answers... lol.  Not a bad thing, though. 

The article also clearly states when talking about rent payment inquiry that one of the main reasons for asking is to determine cash flow and expense relative to income... which sort of stengthens my viewpoint earlier in this thread that inquring about total monthly expenses would be a far more meaningful number than simply one slice of the pie, that being monthly rent/housing payment.

Message 11 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I just put my flat mortgage payment + HOA.  I don't escrow personally, nor would I ever actually in the current market (where escrow vs. not was no penalty for every lender I talked to and that was a bunch).

I'm 99% confident lenders will impute things like taxes and what not, they do for gross income and besides the overwhelming majority of people are just going to list their monthly payment regardless.

Kinda overthinking it as someone said Smiley Happy.

        
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that I could very well be overthinking the inclusion or exclusion of taxes into mortgage payment, but I don't think I'm overthinking the topic of total monthly expenses as opposed to just 1 expense that lenders consider.

Message 13 of 25
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I think part of the reason that BBS has posed this question regarding property taxes is because he happens to live in New York state where property taxes are stratospherically out of control.

Some property tax bills in NY can equal 100% of the actual mortgage payment. In this case, based on percentages, reporting the property tax payment can be a significant portion of ones debt to income ratio obligations.  

For the rest of us that pay a more conservative property tax rate, the difference is inconsequential. 

BBS, I have a solution for you, move out of the state of NY!  I'm in California, which is not exactly property tax or tax friendly in general.  However, it's no where near the New York state level.

So many of my customers have literally sold there homes and moved to a more tax friendly state.

Just my 2 cents on the topic...

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 14 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Banks have so much flexibility wheni t comes to limits vs. income not sure it's relevant.

NY and Cali have different laws, and Cali property taxes are so FUBAR anyway there's just going to be some blanket assumption based on where you live what you property tax is going to be and that will be used.  

Like mentioned re: mortgage space, lenders know you pay taxes, they factor that in, and while I haven't seen most of the lenders' algortihms it's a reasonable bet that they do here... various state tax rates are well known.

        
Message 15 of 25
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I think part of the reason that BBS has posed this question regarding property taxes is because he happens to live in New York state where property taxes are stratospherically out of control.

Some property tax bills in NY can equal 100% of the actual mortgage payment. In this case, based on percentages, reporting the property tax payment can be a significant portion of ones debt to income ratio obligations...  

Not all of NY state have high property taxes.  NYC has relatively low property taxes -- you just have to be able to afford property there. 

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

NY taxes are certainly not cheap, I agree with that 100%.  The cost of living living is through the roof and questions are often raised as to whether or not a move out of the state should be considered.

The more we discuss this topic, the more I find the whole rent/mortgage payment question irrelevant.  As mentioned earlier, lenders can see what your monthly mortgage payment is from looking at your credit report... so asking what it is more or less is just a way of determining if you're the type of person to give a truthful answer.  It's kind funny when you think about it.  They are asking you a question to which they already know the answer, and they know that you know they know the answer Smiley Happy

Rent I guess I understand as that can't be seen from looking at your credit report, but neither can any other non-installment loan expenses so if that's the case what's the point in just asking for one.  I just feel a question such as this should be more of an all or nothing type of thing.  Either don't ask it at all, or if you're going to ask it attempt to achieve as much useful data out of it as possible.

Message 17 of 25
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So on a lot of CC applications you are asked what your monthly rent or mortgage payment is.

When it comes to mortgage payment, are they just looking for principle and interest or if you escrow your taxes and lump them into the payment is that also included?

I sort of view the taxes as different; one could choose to pay their taxes in full once per year and if that's the case it wouldn't be included in their mortgage payment.  Hopefully I'm not overthinking this.  Taxes often can be as much as the principle and interest so whether or not this amount is included could be significant in that someone could be declaring a $800/mo payment verses a $1600/mo payment, for example.

I like to error on the side of conservative and I usually provide P&I, taxes, parking, and HOA combined as my "payment".

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps monthly mortgage/rent payment isn't a very big factor that is considered by lenders.  At least not big in terms of what you enter in manually when asked that question.  I would think the "income" field carries far more weight.

Message 19 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps monthly mortgage/rent payment isn't a very big factor that is considered by lenders.  At least not big in terms of what you enter in manually when asked that question.  I would think the "income" field carries far more weight.

More likely tied together.

Income - mandatory spend = consumer discretionary spend = potential profit!

        
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.