Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Approval Help

tag
tayloreat713
New Contributor

Mortgage Approval Help

Fixing credit to purchase my first home. Scores are impacted by a Cap 1 collection that was settled in court with a monthly payment. Cap 1 is still reporting my original balance and not the balance it was settled for. This is hurting my overall UTI. 

1.Should I offer to pay the remaining settlement balance and ask for a delete?

2. Should I contact Cap 1 and request my settlement amount be reflected as my balance, or can this even be done?

What can be done?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage Approval Help

OP, please don't make multiple topics of the same thing. It makes it confusing for other members trying to read and get information, as well as those trying to respond and help you.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
tayloreat713
New Contributor

It wasn't on purpose, but thanks. 

Message 3 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@tayloreat713 wrote:

It wasn't on purpose, but thanks. 

Hmm so your other thread seems to have disappeared, and I don't know if you happened to read it before it got moved/deleted, but my advice is as follows:

1. Yes, you can pay off the remaining settlement and ask for a PFD, though getting one from an OC is extremely difficult.

2. You mentioned they have been updating the balance with your monthly payments being deducted from the outstanding balance, which is the way they should be doing it. They won't have your settlement balance reflected as the current balance. What they would do is, if you opt for option #1, they will first deduct the settlement amount from the outstanding balance after one cycle, and then update to zero balance after a second cycle, along with adding a comment that it was "settled for less than full balance."

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 7
tayloreat713
New Contributor

Ahh, I think I delete my second post as it was posted in error.

As a recap, if I pay off my settlement with Cap1 it will be difficult to get them to delete it from all three reports. Secondly, if I pay off the remaining portion of my settlement it will take them 2 cycles to report that change to my reports.

It just feels like I am being double hit, its already listed as a charge off balance is also hurting my DTI...is that correct?

Thanks,

Elaine

Message 5 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@tayloreat713 wrote:

Ahh, I think I delete my second post as it was posted in error.

As a recap, if I pay off my settlement with Cap1 it will be difficult to get them to delete it from all three reports. Secondly, if I pay off the remaining portion of my settlement it will take them 2 cycles to report that change to my reports.

It just feels like I am being double hit, its already listed as a charge off balance is also hurting my DTI...is that correct?

Thanks,

Elaine

Yes, unfortunately COs are as bad as it gets, next to BK. But you got it. Paying will help your scores by reducing that utilization hit and fixing DTI, removing is next to impossible, and the update will take a couple of cycles.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 7
tayloreat713
New Contributor

Ok, thanks! It's helpful to know the update will take 2 cycles. That means I need to get on this now.

I have another CO. Would I need to clean them both up for mortgage approval? I received a letter from a law office who now has the debt, and they have provided proof that it is valid. I've heard some lenders will approve with some CO's but not sure if that is true. 

Appreciate your help!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.