cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving abroad to the United Kingdom (UK)

tag
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

Moving abroad to the United Kingdom (UK)

Hi there,

This MAY be the wrong forum topic if so, feel free to correct me. 

The family and I are looking to pack it up and move over to the UK. I know the major cb's are over there and I know they don't care about your USA CS (which sucks because I've spent years getting it spot on). 

My query revolves around the initiation process. Would I have to get some starter cards? Can you apply while on a Tier 2 work visa? Does that affect getting something like a house rental? Any chance that I can convert say a Capital One card to the UK equivalent? Are expat applications "looked down" upon? If anyone has made that move before (in recent times), I would be eternally grateful to any tips you can provide. 

Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving abroad to the United Kingdom (UK)

I believe Amex is the only card issuer who will look at credit history from other countries if you've had their cards in a different country. Other than that I think you've got to start over. 

Message 2 of 3
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Moving abroad to the United Kingdom (UK)

Thanks for the info! I can't help but wonder how well AMEX works/is accepted in the UK? Some quick "googling" shows not very much acceptance. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.