cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My CC Payoff Journey - Over 100 Points Gained in Two Months!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CC Payoff Journey - Over 100 Points Gained in Two Months!

Hi all!

I'd like to start off by saying this forum is one of my all-time favorites to browse and post in. The amount of information here is worth a ton! Before joining MyFico, I had no idea what AZEO was or the effects it can have on one's credit. Seeing all of the success stories on this board motivated me to start tackling my large pile of CC debt. I started 2020 off carrying about $26,000 in CC debt, over 10+ cards, at an overall utilization rate of 99%. I have carried a high balance for the last 3+ years and never truly paid off my CC debt. Once I saw how much interest I was paying, and how much of a pain it is to make hundreds of $$ in minimum payments every month, I decided to start charging at my debts head-on. Over the past few months, my wife and I were able to pay all of that debt down to under 10% utilization but didn't really see any major bumps in score. Our DiscoverIT card reported an $1,100 balance on a $1,000 limit, which I believed was holding my score back! I paid it down and, this morning, that Discover card reported a $10 balance and my FICO 8 scores skyrocketed, as high as 55 points! I am now breaking into the 700s when, just a couple of months ago, I was in the high 500s. Next month, our last two cards will be paid off and we will finally be using the 'AZEO' method as icing on the cake. Thanks again to all who have posted helpful and motivating stories here! Catch me in the CC Approvals board when I finally get my dream AMEX Gold and/or Platinum!

tl;dr - Started 2020 off with $26k in credit card debt. Paid down most of my balances around October 2020, today I saw a 55 point FICO 8 increase into the high 600s, low 700s, when just two months ago I was in the mid-to-high 500s.

It's also worth mentioning that my FICO mortgage scores were in the mid 500s a month ago and are now in the mid 600s. We close on a new construction in October of 2021, so hopefully AZEO helps us break the 700 mark for the best rates!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: My CC Payoff Journey - Over 100 Points Gained in Two Months!

Congratulations on your success!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your massive revolving debt paydown.  No doubt you've learned a lot and won't allow it to get back to that ugly place again.

Since you've got that 1/3 of the Fico pie under control now, my suggestion if you're looking for that next ~100 points would be to start addressing any negative items that you have on your credit report.  The rebuilding section of this forum is great for tips in that department.

Message 3 of 6
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

congratulations to you and your wife! I started my pay down in August and my overall UTIL went from 70% to 17% and my scores went up. I added a few new accounts which helped with UTIL but the inquiries and new accounts snatched the points for now. 

Im looking to purchase new construction in March 2021. I too learned so much from this forum! That monthly interest I was paying was horrible!!! Now my balances are sitting on 0% cc and I'm happy!! 

Best wishes! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

I'd like to start off by saying this forum is one of my all-time favorites to browse and post in. The amount of information here is worth a ton! Before joining MyFico, I had no idea what AZEO was or the effects it can have on one's credit. Seeing all of the success stories on this board motivated me to start tackling my large pile of CC debt. I started 2020 off carrying about $26,000 in CC debt, over 10+ cards, at an overall utilization rate of 99%. I have carried a high balance for the last 3+ years and never truly paid off my CC debt. Once I saw how much interest I was paying, and how much of a pain it is to make hundreds of $$ in minimum payments every month, I decided to start charging at my debts head-on. Over the past few months, my wife and I were able to pay all of that debt down to under 10% utilization but didn't really see any major bumps in score. Our DiscoverIT card reported an $1,100 balance on a $1,000 limit, which I believed was holding my score back! I paid it down and, this morning, that Discover card reported a $10 balance and my FICO 8 scores skyrocketed, as high as 55 points! I am now breaking into the 700s when, just a couple of months ago, I was in the high 500s. Next month, our last two cards will be paid off and we will finally be using the 'AZEO' method as icing on the cake. Thanks again to all who have posted helpful and motivating stories here! Catch me in the CC Approvals board when I finally get my dream AMEX Gold and/or Platinum!

tl;dr - Started 2020 off with $26k in credit card debt. Paid down most of my balances around October 2020, today I saw a 55 point FICO 8 increase into the high 600s, low 700s, when just two months ago I was in the mid-to-high 500s.

It's also worth mentioning that my FICO mortgage scores were in the mid 500s a month ago and are now in the mid 600s. We close on a new construction in October of 2021, so hopefully AZEO helps us break the 700 mark for the best rates!

It's a rewarding feeling when you see how much reducing your utilization and number of accounts with balances can positively affect your scores.

Congrats on your success so far.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats to you! And I agree! this is the best community which has the most useful information. This is the only place I look at now when I have a credit related question. I am too bringing all my debts down. Went from 65% utilization + to 30% and now within the next week below 9% as soon as all bureaus update. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.