cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Embmlem mastercard got hack today bunch of unauthorized charges made.

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

My Embmlem mastercard got hack today bunch of unauthorized charges made.

Hi her what happen, I had this mastercard for over since 209 with cl of 1500. I got this card when I agree to settle a collections. I only use this card once a year for about 10 dollars year to keep the account a live. Last week I made a charge at Key food for 8.52, I check ther telephone system to see how much came through and to pay it off befor account cuts. To my surprise voice system told that my balance was 8.52 and the available credit was 1365. At that point I new that some thing was not right with the account. Spoke to customer service then to the fraud department. Some one had a bumch of on line charges and tried to get cash advances on card. Thay paid parking ticket. The account was closed and new card will be sent to me. thay started fraud investgation. How will this effect my credit report I have great cr my fico scores are around 800, no late payments or collections. Should I just pay fraud charges and call it day.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My Embmlem mastercard got hack today bunch of unauthorized charges made.

No you dont pay fraudulent charges, you will need to sign the affadavit that you did not authorize nor make the charges and at the end of the investigation the temporary credit for the fraud charges will become permanent. As far as your CR the old account will most likely be removed and the newly issue account reposted with the same opening date and other relevant payment information there should not be any effect on Fico at all.

Message 2 of 11
zerofire
Valued Contributor

By law and network policy you are only responsible for your transactions. All the other charges except the Key Food are unauthorized and all you need to do is contact the issuer and they will work on it. They will usually issue a temporary credit that becomes permanent once everything is figured out. Cards today can be duplicated or even have their info stolen without removing the card. I have had cases on my cards that someone sent a charge through and clearly was not mine. Between me and the issuer everything was sorted out because everyone knew what went wrong. I still had the card on me and had not used it recently. It is not a new thing for issuers, they know how to handle it as soon as you notify them of the issue. In the case of reports it changes nothing so you will have everything stay the same and they will just issue you a new card and number.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If i had 800 scores and better cards, i would just close this card and move on. It will stay on your reports up to 10 years or more. Just mhoSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
If i had 800 scores and better cards, i would just close this card and move on. It will stay on your reports up to 10 years or more. Just mhoSmiley Wink

Agreed.  If the OP's scores are "around 800" there's no need to have a credit card issued by a collection agency (Jefferson Capital). 

Message 5 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yikes, a card from a collection agency? Uhm, no thanks, hard pass. Cut the cord, stick with the normal lenders, imhoSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 11
firefox100
Valued Contributor

The card does not cost me anything to keep, just make a charge once year. I don't close down cards. I want show longevity. Never had problem with card.

Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

To each their own. Glad youve had no issues . Ive never heard of a collection agency credit card.
Message 8 of 11
zerofire
Valued Contributor

You probably never went into collections anyway AJC. The new collection companies are getting more and more creative on making money. The smaller ones are also more nimble at dealing with this. The idea is that if they can send the client into debt again they can do 1st party collections which reduces costs. Otherwise the person gets their credit rebuilt realisticly fast while the collections agency gets merchants fees for the risk. Either way they win.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 9 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Interesting info. Thanks Zerofire. Actually i did have an old cell phone bill go into collections that showed up as i was rebuilding here on myFico. Yikes, what a quick headache that thankfully i paid in full right away , and it was taken off my reports .
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.