Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Identity Theft Story

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Re: My Identity Theft Story

Thanks to REAL ID this information is collected and attached to your DL file just about everywhere now.  I had to bring more stuff to get my Wisconsin DL than I had to bring to get a Passport.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 11 of 12
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: My Identity Theft Story

1. @DaveInAZ wrote:

@Runitup wrote:
    My guess is they knew somebody who worked in the DMV. Of course, the guy taking the pic and the subsequent hard pulls on my credit could be just a massive coincidence but I doubt it.

Well, from a license plate # all you should be able to get is the owners names & address. Someone well up in a DMV would probably be able to cross reference that to the Driver's license and get the date of birth, but I don't believe any states' DMV have social security numbers. I know I've never given my SS# to the AZ DMV.

Sorry for you ID theft, OP, but I'm not convinced whoever snapped a pic of your license plate did it - that would be too easy, all you would need to do is snap pics of license plates of the car ahead of you in traffic all day & get hundreds of IDs.

That said, there is too many businesses still trying to collect DOB & SS#'s, and too many folks giving it up. I recently went in for an annual eye exam at a new eye doctor. So, they gve me forms to fill out as a new customer, and you guessed it, they wanted my DOB & SS#. I asked the clerk loudly so other patients would hear: "Why in the world would you need my Social Security number?" The clerk shrugged and said "Then just put down the last 4 digits". I replied: "No, you're not getting any part of my SS#, there is no reason for you to have it". I wrote in "PRIVATE INFO" on the line for SS#, and also didn't put down my real DOB.It's been mny years since I app'd for a job, but I suppose the job app forms still want DOB & SS#? I would put down on the line for SS#: "Will provide on hiring".

Dave in AZ - in FLORIDA, if you have someones name and D.O.B, you can get the DL #.. It's that easy. Our DL numbering system SUCKS, and it is insecure, and NOT random. The code is simple, and there are numerous websites that can create a DL, or decode the info online.. for free!!

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.