Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Journey...

tag
pjinky

My Journey...

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to say hi and to express some gratitude for this forum and others like it. I had to file CH 7 BK back in 2010 after trying to save my business with credit cards. After the BK was discharged, I opened a few new credit cards and mismanaged those, ultimately ending in collections. I gave up trying at that point. I became a cash consumer and let that be that. It wasn't until the end of 2013 that I got serious about my finances and really started realizing the importance of having good credit. That's when I started lurking on all of the forums, soaking up everything like a sponge.

I pulled my credit reports from My Fico and all three bureaus were hovering in the high 400's. Talk about depressing. I started a spreadsheet and formulated a plan. I went into rehab on my student loans. I then arranged pay for deletes on the credit card collections, successfully getting two of them off my reports. I still had a couple to go. 

About a year had passed and I kept trying to get a credit card during this time, but no one would approve me, even after my student loans came out of rehab. At that point, my scores went up a few points -- nothing like I had hoped, but I was in the mid to upper 500's. I still had several of the IIB accounts reporting also. I decided to apply for a Discover card and was offered their secured product. This was in March 2015. I accepted the offer, put down $800 and waited anxiously for my card. 

After receiving my Discover card, I waited for it to report. I think the first time it hit my reports, I saw a 30+ point increase on my TU report (according to the statement I got with Discover). I was ecstatic. I then got a Cap One secured card with a $200 limit. I think I had to pay a $99 deposit for it. After that, I started opening small store cards like Express for $300, Buckle for $300 and a couple others, but I can’t remember the order right now. I let all those hit my reports and held off applying for a while. During that time, I continued to dispute old IIB accounts and collections. Things would either age off or I would dispute successfully, but all at a snail's pace. I just had to keep reminding myself it's all about the bigger picture -- the long term goal of having great credit again. I didn't get in this mess overnight and I sure won't get out of it that quick.

Oh yeah, on a side note, I set a rule for myself at the beginning of this journey. If the money isn't in the bank to cover the charge, it doesn't go on the card. That's a non-negotiable rule that I still follow to this day.

Fast forward to mid-2016, I had gotten most of the old IIB accounts and collections off my reports, my Discover card finally graduated with a $1200 credit limit, and all of my scores were staying in the mid to upper 600's. I think my low score was around 660 and my high was 680ish. I got my first major limit (to me) credit card -- A Chase United card. They approved me with a horrible APR but a $5,000 limit. I was ecstatic. I even received a 50k mile SUB. It paid for a round-trip ticket to Hawaii and I wasn't complaining. Smiley Happy But, at that point, I realized I could start getting approved for better cards. The credit bug bit me and, over the next couple of years, I went crazy applying. The good news is that I was approved for most everything I applied for. The bad news is that I applied for a lot…a whole lot.

As it stands today, I have 43 open credit cards, 2 auto leases (I co-signed for my grandmother) and 3 personal lines of credit. I have credit lines of $472,800. That includes my “white whales” – a PenFed Power Cash Rewards Card with a $35,000 limit and a PLOC with them for $15,000. I also have 10 different cards that have $20k+ limits. I never thought I would see the day I would have a $2,500 limit, much less over 10x that amount. My scores are also fairly decent today. My EQ FICO 8 is 776, TU is 724 and EX is 720. My BK is still reporting on TU and EX, so that’s the only thing I can think of for the 50+ point difference from EQ. It’s scheduled to fall off TU and EX next fall. I’m not rushing it. I’m not buying anything in the next year or two so I see no need to stress myself out with it.

The goal is 800+ across the board. I am entering the garden and not applying for anything for at least a year and a half. My sights are on the CSP and I’m so far over 5/24 it’s ridiculous. I know I’ve gotten a little crazy with new accounts, and I plan on pruning while I’m in the garden. There are a few store cards I would like to close, as well as a few others that are stuck and not growing. I now realize it’s not about quantity but quality. I'm going to enter the garden community here and look for support. I definitely need it!

Thanks for letting me go on and on. I hope I didn’t sound like I was bragging. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me hope along the way and to hopefully give hope that if you’re in the situation I was in, you can rebuild. It just takes patience and perseverance…and a whole lot of reading on the forums. 😊

P.S. - My original Discover card still stays in my wallet and gets used to this very day. It’s not my daily driver, but the limit has grown to $10k from an $800 secured card. I will always give them some amount of use. I am forever grateful that they gave me my first card and helped establish the groundwork for all the rest. I know they’re tough to figure out, I gave up trying, but they have treated me very well.

Thanks again and be well!

- Phil

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Journey...

What a great story and that’s a lot of credit! Good luck on your gardening and pruning of cards.

Message 2 of 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

Hi & Welcome to the forums, Phil!

Great story - big congrats on your successful rebuild... 

@pjinky wrote:

As it stands today, I have 43 open credit cards

Smiley Surprised   Good Gosh.   Curious: do you actually make each card gets some sort of spend during the year to prevent inactivity closure, or do you just... go with the flow and whatever happens happens?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 4
pjinky

Thank you!

I keep a spreadsheet and try to rotate them. Plus, I keep recurring charges with autopay on a couple of them. It's definitely a chore. That's why I want to prune.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.