cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My TU Vantage score is 708 my TU Fico 694????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU Vantage score is 708 my TU Fico 694????

I did the $1....... 7 day free trial at Trans Union. My vantage score is 708. according to the Trans Union website Vantage score ranges from 501-990 something like that. If I understand correctly if calculating it in the normal way from 350-850 my trans union vantage score comes out to be somewhere around 550.

on the other hand My TU Fico is at 694 ranging from 350-850.

(IDK if lenders for best buy look up Vantage score) and I am tired of this bill s*** I am close to closing all my accounts and moving on. I worked soo hard and just got out of paying off all my depth and raised my TU FICO from 580-694 in 7 months. How is Vantage scoreing me soo poorly like that. i have only 2 baddies and 10 inquries. my baddies are almost 3 years old. my utilization is 7% and average age of cards almost 3 years. i called trans union and complained.

i want the best buy card and i think best buy checks vantage score as well no wonder i was denied. damn

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: My TU Vantage score is way different from my TU FICO

You can get your TU and EQ Vantage Score for free from Credit Karma. That said, there have been several discussions recently concerning the difference between FICO and Vantage Scoring. Try search on vantage score on MyFico.

Message 2 of 12
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I did the $1 7 day free trial at Trans Union. My vantage score is 708. The score ranges from 550-950 something like that. If I understand correctly my trans union comes out to 550. My TU Fico is at 695 ranging from 350-850. I am tired of this bill s*** I am close to closing all my accounts and moving on. I worked doo hard and just got out of death and raised my TU FICO from 580-694 in 7 months. How is Vantage like that

I don't follow. This is what I understand you saying thus far:

-your TU Vantage score is 708

-your TU FICO score is 695 (from a low of 580 7 months ago)

This is where you loose me: "If I understand correctly my trans union comes out to 550"

What is this statement intending to say? Are you saying your score is 550 on one of the scoring models or is the 550 just a reference to score ranges?

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry about that i was using my phone. i just got on my laptop and noticed. I UPDATED MY POST AND MY SUBJECT. i really would like to hear what you think about it.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you the vantage score from credit karma seems to be almost the same as my fico. but this version the TU.com uses is completely way off.

Message 5 of 12
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sorry about that i was using my phone. i just got on my laptop and noticed. I UPDATED MY POST AND MY SUBJECT. i really would like to hear what you think about it.

So you are coming up with the 550 on your own by attempting a little math and assuming that if there is, say a 20% difference in the range of a score, that you can simply lower your score in one model by 20% and that would give you an accurate score in the other model? Am I understanding this correctly?

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The old vantage score used that rang up to 990 or something. The current one, Vantage Score 3.0, uses the traditional 850 maximum. My assumption is that TU has not updated their description.
Also, you can't simply adjust your score from one scale to another, as you are most likely missing a ton of variables the would grossly misinterpret your score. I find it hard to believe that your score would have that large of a discrepancy.
Message 7 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nothing unusal there.  You're looking at scores generated by different scoring models.  You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model.  You should expect different algorithms to produce different results -- even with the different FICO models.

@Anonymous wrote:

If I understand correctly if calculating it in the normal way from 350-850 my trans union vantage score comes out to be somewhere around 550.

You're not understanding correctly.  You can't just "calculate it the normal way".  The normal way is the VantageScore as presented to you.  You cannot convert it into another score.  It is an entirely different algorithm that is used to generate the score and there is no fixed conversion rate.

@Anonymous wrote:

IDK if lenders for best buy look up Vantage score

Allegedly some do.  I have no idea how you'd determine who does.  I have not been able to do so myself.  What matters is whether or not your creditors or the creditors you intend to apply for use a given scoring model and CRA.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am tired of this bill s*** I am close to closing all my accounts and moving on.

That won't help your credit.  Understanding that there are different scoring models, the pitfalls of relying too much on specific numbers, and learning to assess your own reports, however, will help.

@Anonymous wrote:

How is Vantage scoreing me soo poorly like that.

We have no idea what the specifics are with any scoring models .  Those are closely guarded secrets.  However, we can say that different algorithms are used and that they weigh factors differently.  Otherwise, if scoring models were all identical there would be no point to having different scoring models.  Again, unless you know that a creditor that you use or intend to apply with actually uses VantageScore there's no sense in worrying over it.

@Anonymous wrote:

i have only 2 baddies and 10 inquries. my baddies are almost 3 years old.

Regardless of model dergos tend to have a singificant impact on scoring and risk assessment.  If you're going to worry the hit the Rebuilding subforum and see what you can do about  addressing them.  Depending on their age, 10 inquiries is probably a lot for your profile.

@Anonymous wrote:

i called trans union and complained.

TU can't do anything.  VantageScores are generated by VantageScore Solutions.  TU can only help you if there are issues with your TU report.

TU does have a scoring model but it's the TransUnion New Account model which is not used by any creditor.

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you the vantage score from credit karma seems to be almost the same as my fico. but this version the TU.com uses is completely way off.

They're all accurate.  You just don't understand what you're comparing.  Both CK and TU are now using VantageScore 3.0.  However, it's not just the CRA and model that matter but the data itself as well.  Those CK and TU scores were not generated on the same date with the exact same data.

If CK and myFICO are close -- or even the same -- it's coincidental and not causal.  Again, never rely on a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model.  Even if both models are FICO's.

Don't overlook the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies as resources as well.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My TU Vantage score is 708 my TU Fico 694????

Thank you Takeshi74 now I understand. They are totally separate of course now I understand. If all were the same why would I need to see my fico,vantage, or any other credit score type version. Thanks a million. I think the vantage from trans union.com is the score that trans union personaly created and only uses where no other lender can see. However TU They have me graded at level C ......Level A being the best and F meaning poor.
Message 9 of 12
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

Re: My TU Vantage score is 708 my TU Fico 694????

@Anonymous wrote:

I did the $1....... 7 day free trial at Trans Union. My vantage score is 708. according to the Trans Union website Vantage score ranges from 501-990 something like that. If I understand correctly if calculating it in the normal way from 350-850 my trans union vantage score comes out to be somewhere around 550.

on the other hand My TU Fico is at 694 ranging from 350-850.

(IDK if lenders for best buy look up Vantage score) and I am tired of this bill s*** I am close to closing all my accounts and moving on. I worked soo hard and just got out of paying off all my depth and raised my TU FICO from 580-694 in 7 months. How is Vantage scoreing me soo poorly like that. i have only 2 baddies and 10 inquries. my baddies are almost 3 years old. my utilization is 7% and average age of cards almost 3 years. i called trans union and complained.

i want the best buy card and i think best buy checks vantage score as well no wonder i was denied. damn

Below is an OLD so-called "conversion" table showing the approximate equivalencies between a FICO Score (300-850), VantageScore 2.0 (?) (501-990) and some other common FAKO scores.

As has been pointed out earlier, you really can't accurately extrapolate the numbers from one score to another, and yet it seems this chart sort of does that.

Grade   FICO® Score   VantageScore   PLUS Score   TransUnion® Score   CreditXpert Score®

A             750-850             901-990           740-830               845-925                   800-900

B             700-749             801-900           695-739               765-844                   740-799

C             650-699             701-800           655-694               685-764                   670-739

D             600-649             601-700           590-654               605-684                   611-669

F             300-599             501-600           300-589               150-604                   300-609

Your VantageScore (2.0) of 708 is at the low end of the Grade "C," vs. the FICO score of 694, which is at the high end of Grade "C."  This might give you a rough perspective how these two numbers compare to each other...sort of!

As to Best Buy's use of VantageScore, as also was noted earlier, are they using VS 2.0 (501-990) or the newer (and being aggressively pushed by the three CRAs) VS 3.0 (300-850)?  Check your score out at Credit Karma to get VS 3.0 scores for both TransUnion as well as Equifax.  Updated scores are available weekly at CK.

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.