cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit are frozen but creditor can still do hard inquiry WITHOUT me unfreezing the credit first?

tag
striders
Valued Member

My credit are frozen but creditor can still do hard inquiry WITHOUT me unfreezing the credit first?

I have freezed all my credit reports (3 bureaus) for years. From my experience, no one can apply for credit or creditor cannot do an inquiry without me unfreezing the credit. I actually have a number of occasions where I applied for a credit card and the bank asked me to call them. Then they said my credit is frozen and I have to unfreeze it first. I unfreeze it and put the end date so the freeze will be reactivated.

A few days back, I applied for an apartment and I forgot to unfreeze my credit. The leasing agent was able to pull my credit from TransUnion and a hard inquiry was placed WITHOUT me unfreezing my TU credit first.

This is not a fraud because I was the one applying, but I thought credit freeze was supposed to stop inquiry until I unfreeze it?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rooeez
Regular Contributor

Re: My credit are frozen but creditor can still do hard inquiry WITHOUT me unfreezing the credit fir

You would think. Similar thing happened to me. With my credit union I was planning to apply for a loan. I got an auto-reject because I had forgot to unfreeze my reports. I subsequently decided to not apply and left it until I got an alert of the hard inquiry. I got another hard inquiry a month later when it tried to repull my report (I didn't cancel the application). I called the CSR and they said it shouldn't be a hard inquiry since they couldn't pull the report, but both are still on my report.

| TCL = $360,850 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 792| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My credit are frozen but creditor can still do hard inquiry WITHOUT me unfreezing the credit fir

Did you do a freeze or an extended fraud alert?

Message 3 of 9
striders
Valued Member

It’s a freeze.

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you do a freeze or an extended fraud alert?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call TU. Shouldn’t have happened. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed should not have happened
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think rentals are exempted.

From the FTC:

A credit freeze does not:

• keep you from opening a new account, applying for a job, renting an apartment, or buying insurance. But if you’re doing any of these, you’ll need to lift the freeze temporarily, either for a specific time or for a specific party, say, a potential landlord or employer. It’s free to lift the freeze and free to place it again when you’re done accessing your credit.  

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

So you definitely should have to lift the freeze when hunting for an apartment. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Saeren you beat me to it I went straight to the FTC and looked it up and then came back and corrected it
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@ Saeren you beat me to it I went straight to the FTC and looked it up and then came back and corrected it

I’m like a ninja 🤣 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.