Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit score is not moving.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit score is not moving.

Howdy!! I am sure this question is something that people have been asking for years, but I have yet to get an answer. Hopefully someone can help...

Why is my credit score not moving? -

Granted I am in the rebuilding process, all of the techniques that I’ve learned and have tried have been working until recently. 11/2016 I took back control of my credit and started the rebuilding process. I started at 465 TU / 495 EQ. I was horrified. I got my reports and disputed all of that junk that had been there for years. 1 thing was valid and I paid it off. In one month of clearing it, my score came up to about 558 TU / 575 EQ. I applied for some cards (spread out over 4-5 months each) as I had only 1 active account (my car). In that time up until 7/2017 (when I opened my CapOne QS1), my credit score increases about 6-8 points EVERY month. I paid in full each month (using the credit cards only to increase my score and get benefits like cash back) and made sure I was reporting 0% utilization on my reports.

Checking my scores on Credit Karma in November said I had gotten to 635 TU / 655 EQ. I felt bold an applied for an AMEX. I was approved. Now that it has hit my report it’s showing a slight boost in my scores.

I guess my only thing is this, with the exception of opening new accounts, my score is not going up. I came in this forum and someone said showing a 0% utilization was a bad thing and that I should report a few dollars on my report. I messed up and paid my bills to $0 except 1; the AMEX I was able to leave $3 (which someone said was okay) the score updated at the beginning of this months and still no moving. Now I think maybe because it’s still reporting at 0%.

Can someone please recommend something that will consistently increase my scores? I’m trying to get up in the 700’s and it seems like it taking forever. I know credit is a marathon and not a race, but any extra help you all can give (like those little water holders on the side of the marathon routes) would be helpful!

P.S. I know everyone is going to say “credit karma is not reliable...” but I am also using my FICO from AMEX that reports it hasn’t been changed. With the new card it reports 643EX. Before it hovered at 637. OHHHH, and my Credit One Card gives me access to my score and it said my EX was 660.

Current Cards:
Capital One Quicksilver One - $2,000
Capital One Quicksilver (don’t ask) - $1,250
Delta Gold Skymiles AMEX - $1,000
Discover it Card - $800 (I just got it. It’s not reporting yet)
Credit One Bank - $450

Total Limit : $5,500

Scores today (before Discover It reports)
643TU/659EQ/ 660EX
8 REPLIES 8
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: My credit score is not moving.

"Can someone please recommend something that will consistently increase my scores?"

Time

You are doing great. If there was some way to instantly inject a thick and robust history with long AAoA into the Fico/V3 algorithms, it would be easy, but it's not possible. Just keep adding green marks to your reports and get your limits up. I added about 22 accounts over a few years, took a year off, and made it the 800's (sometime my scores barely moved). Here's my 4 year history (Tax Lien still on TU).

and congrats on the build   :]

vgyuhbnjjnmko.PNGcfgbhjkmhj.PNG

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm assuming you must have some lates on your report. I'm in a similar situation as you. My score went from the low 500's and now it's in the 640-670 range and not moving much. And that's because I have some late payments from 2 years ago.

Message 3 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

How long is your AAoA?
Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Even those of us with good scores hit those rough patches where it seems our score doesnt move. Lol seems like it took forever to go from 700 to 720 . Time is a pain sometimes but in the end once you get there youll be suprised that you ever sweated itSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AAOA is showing up at 1Y 7 months!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop using Credit Karma to look at your credit score.  The score they provide us only an entertainment score, not a score used by lenders.  It isn't a good score for rebuilding purposes.

Get your FICO8 scores and use those instead.

Message 7 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

The only other thing besides time moving your scores, is some one else's time. 

The older the CC account the better. If a close family member has a CC that's say 10 yrs old or longer with perfect payment history/low utilization and the lender back dates for AUs. It will boost your scores as soon as it reports. I've helped more than one of my family members this way. It has never failed.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
P.S. I know everyone is going to say “credit karma is not reliable...” but I am also using my FICO from AMEX that reports it hasn’t been changed. With the new card it reports 643EX. Before it hovered at 637. OHHHH, and my Credit One Card gives me access to my score and it said my EX was 660.

I'm not sure about Amex, but Credit Karma and Credit One do not provide Fico scores. Get your Fico scores to see your real progress.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.