Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My immovable credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My immovable credit score

On Nov 19th, my Experian score dropped from 745 to 741. I believe that happened when my BECU line of credit first reported to the bureau, a 4 point drop.

Since that time, it has stayed 741, as reported daily by CreditCheckTotal. Since then, in this order:

-- The inquiry for my rental apartment aged over  1 year, score remained 741

-- The inquiry for CITI hit my Experian report, score remained 741

-- My new CITI account reported to Experian for the first time, score remained 741

-- My new Discover account reported to Experian for the first time, score remained 741

-- The inquiry for my FirstTech credit card aged over 1 year, score remained 741 

I would have expected some ups and downs through those events--new accounts, new inquiries, inquiries aging off--but nothing. 741, 741, 741 every day without fail no matter what I do. 

I have also had some accounts report 0 in some months, and non-zero in other months, though I always have at least three accounts report (always PRG, always Amazon, and previously always BoA but now always CITI and Discover, with BoA now going to zero).  My utilization has remained very low, about 2-3%, since I pay in full every month and much of my spending goes to the Amex PRG which doesn't count towards utilization. I've had one card (my Amazon store card) go over 20% utilization briefly (and repor that way) but there was no impact on my score when it went up, and no impact when I paid it back down at the end of the month.

Either CreditCheckTotal is just broken and not reporting updates or I've somehow arrived at a condition that locks me into this score somehow. I don't think it's broken, I see the same score on Amex, which reports a few weeks behind reality--but is also showing 741 for Experian. And it WAS updating my score before, and it does update with the new information--I see the inquiries and the accounts there and such. But no score change.

Not that I'm complaining that much. Being stuck at 741 sure beats being stuck at 739! And I'm effectively in the garden now for many months to come, so I don't need to optimize it for anything right now.

But it's odd!

Other details for any credit sleuths trying to figure this out: My oldest account is 16 months, my average age is 9 months, all accounts listed in my siggy. I have no derogatories on my file at all, no lates, no records. My history is clean, but relatively short. In terms of inquiries, in addition to those mentioned above there's another one from Amex from April, so my # of inquiries under a year went 3->2->3->2. Plaintly bouncing between 3 and 2 isn't doing anything. I would have expected the two new accounts to have an impact though? 

My only theory is I have so many new accounts, under 2 years, that I've paid the full new accont penalty and there's nothing more to pay. So I'll likely sit at this score until either I drop to 1 or maybe even 0 inquiries, or until my oldest account hits 2 years, or my AAoA hits... what.. 2 years? So I might be at 741 for a LONG time.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: My immovable credit score

Could be bucketing.

Message 2 of 3
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: My immovable credit score

Agree

Inquiries and grouped in bins. Some bins have a count range but other bins are single count. Binning of inquiries is further complicated by coding of hard inquiries in certain rate shopping situations so they count as one instead of many.

It looks like the OP is having some inquiries age off but then replacing them with freshly minted inquiries. 

Also, AAoA and age of youngest account - which may have passed thresholds are held down by opening new accounts.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.