Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My personal loan experience with Upstart

tag
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

My personal loan experience with Upstart

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience, which has been top notch, in case anyone is interested.

I began looking into a $25k personal loan to pay off my credit cards about a month ago. I was specifically looking for something that was < 12% so I could keep my payments manageable. I checked all the pre-quals at sites like Upstart, Lending Club, Avant, Promise, Prosper, etc. Most companies said they couldn't offer me a loan because my debt obligations were too high. The only offers I got were Lending Club for about 24% and Upstart for around 18%, neither of which were appealing to me.

So here's my timeline:

3/21 - Checked pre-qualification for Upstart with a TU score of 684

• Qualified for up to $29,700 with sweet spot at $20,000 for 3 years at 18.99%
  • Did not proceed

4/6 - Upstart customer support emails me to let me know my quote expired

• I emailed the support rep back letting her know I decided not to accept the loan offer because the terms weren't favorable for me, and also asked when I can apply again

4/7 - Support emailed me back to let me know that I can check qualification every 2 weeks (after the current qualification expires)

• I immediately went back to their website since my TU score had since jumped to 704
  • Qualified for up to $50,000, and for comparison purposes: $20,000 for 3 years at 7.94% (11% lower than 2 weeks prior! Smiley LOL
  • Applied for the loan and had to submit a photograph of my college diploma
  • Scheduled 5 minute verification phone call for the next day

4/8 - Upstart calls for 5 minute verification

• They asked me to verify name, address, email, work, etc
  • Asked if I had any wage garnishments and if I could comfortably pay back the monthly amount they were asking
  • They said they would submit my answers to the "credit inspector" (it sounded scary) and that I would get an email response in 1-2 business days
  • About 10 min later, got an email that the loan was approved
  • Immediately went online and completed the process, signed promissory note, and linked my bank account
  • Since this all happened before 5pm CDT, I got an email saying my funds were on their way and I should expect the deposit on 4/11

4/9 - Money in the bank!!

The total time from qualification to money in the bank was exactly 46 hours total. Smiley Very Happy It was an insanely easy and awesome experience, and Upstart customer support was friendly and knowledgable. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My personal loan experience with Upstart

Did you cross into a lower UTIL bracket, or the accounts just simply aging? they really like the round number 700 don't they? Congrats
Message 2 of 3
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

Re: My personal loan experience with Upstart

Thanks! I don't believe I crossed into a lower UTIL bracket, it only went from 70% to 69% in those two weeks, but perhaps that right there was the threshold?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.