Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFICO Credit score simulator scam!

tag
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

MyFICO Credit score simulator scam!

I tested this so-called simulator and riddle me this...  Why if I "pay down CCs balances $500/mo" for just 1 month, i get a 30pts bump up in score but if I chose "pay down CCs" with the same $500, I only get a 5 pts bump.  Go figure?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MyFICO Credit score simulator scam!

Scam? A scam is a fraudulent scheme for some kind of gain. I'll give you that it might not be accurate, but I don't believe it meets the definition of a scam.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tjmolly wrote:

I tested this so-called simulator and riddle me this...  Why if I "pay down CCs balances $500/mo" for just 1 month, i get a 30pts bump up in score but if I chose "pay down CCs" with the same $500, I only get a 5 pts bump.  Go figure?

In first scenario, you are simulating two factors; balance and length of time, while in the second, only balance. It may seem trivia to you, but in statistical models its not.

Is there something significant happening in 1 month time? Such as account aging, inquiries aging, etc?
Message 3 of 22
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Scam? A scam is a fraudulent scheme for some kind of gain. I'll give you that it might not be accurate, but I don't believe it meets the definition of a scam.

Pardon my hyperbole, Bella.  I'm a little disturbed by what I see as a poorly designed simulation product.

Message 4 of 22
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

I just don't see how paying $500/mo. only once over a 30day timeframe vs paying $500 once now makes for a 20+ pts difference (it won't even update for a month anyway).  Seems flawed somehow, but whatever.  It's a game and MyFICO is the winner either

@Anonymous wrote:

@tjmolly wrote:

In first scenario, you are simulating two factors; balance and length of time, while in the second, only balance. It may seem trivia to you, but in statistical models its not.

Is there something significant happening in 1 month time? Such as account aging, inquiries aging, etc?

way. 

Message 5 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tjmolly wrote:

I just don't see how paying $500/mo. only once over a 30day timeframe vs paying $500 once now makes for a 20+ pts difference (it won't even update for a month anyway).  Seems flawed somehow, but whatever.  It's a game and MyFICO is the winner either

@Anonymous wrote:

@tjmolly wrote:

way. 

Meh, I view the simulator as just more encouragement to do the right thing (pretty up your credit profile and / or pay off credit card debt from a financial perspetive... 0% financing not withstanding) anyway Smiley Happy.

It's not very accurate on short time horizons when I tried it, we just don't have much visibility into it though I know a lot of work went into it.  I'm pretty certain I could find more idiosyncracies if I tried but end of the day it doesn't matter and it's certainly a bit of hyperbole in describing it as a scam.

        
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tjmolly wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Pardon my hyperbole, Bella.  I'm a little disturbed by what I see as a poorly designed simulation product.

It's all good. Smiley Happy It just wasn't clear that your intent was hyperbole. Certainly when I read it, I took it that you were actually accusing MyFico of a literal scam. 

+1 to what Revelate said.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tjmolly wrote:

Simulators aren't accurate.  If they "get it right" it's a coincidence as they take into account maybe 10 pieces of profile data when there are an infinite amount of pieces of profile data out there with respect to one another.  There's no scam.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol, something that's programmed in a crappy way isn't a scam. The sims are really more of an educational tool rather than an accurate predictor, anyway.

Message 9 of 22
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

Yes I know.  I put "scam" in the title to draw attention to my concern.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.