cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery -- Huge difference between FICO and Vantage score... Vantage score plummeting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mystery -- Huge difference between FICO and Vantage score... Vantage score plummeting

Hi all, 

I've always worked hard to maintain excellent credit. 

I recently logged onto Chase Credit Journey and bam -- my Vantage 3.0 score had plummeted from 822 to 780. Nothing had changed: never had a late payment, no new accounts... it's baffling. 

Only thing: One of my card's credit limits disappeared. The card has a $34,000 limit and was suddenly listed as "-". 

I checked my credit reports and Experian also has that card limit as "-". 

I opened a dispute... and it seemed to be resolved. And yet, my Vantage score dropped to 760. I'm really upset and a bit panicked. 

Here's the other strange thing -- my FICO score has remained pristine. It's at 828, currently. 

All my credit reports are clean too. 
Any ideas? 

7 REPLIES 7
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mystery -- Huge difference between FICO and Vantage score... Vantage score plummeting

Did you verify the $34,000 limit with the lender?  Could they have closed the card?  If it was closed then your dispute would not have been successful.

Another thing: How recent is the date on the FICO score of 828?  

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mystery -- Huge difference between FICO and Vantage score... Vantage score plummeting

Yes, I verified the card was still open and the limit is still $34,000. They're also baffled how it ended up as "-" with Experian. 

The 822 score was in January... it dropped to 780 in February and now 760 in March. 

I just opened an account with credit.com which shows my FICO scores all above 800 currently, ranging from 802 to 848 in the various FICO models. 

Message 3 of 8
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Well That is really odd but since FICO scores are unchanged I wouldn't worry about the Vantage scores.

When I asked about the date on the FICO 828 I was referencing you mentioning that score in your OP. I wanted to verify that you weren't looking at a score provided by a bank that hadn't updated in a while. Citi does that sometimes for example. 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Chase Credit Journey has been absolutely useless in resolving this. They suggested I hire a credit advisor. 

I'm thinking of buying a house in the next few months, otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. 

Message 5 of 8
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the forums. Don't worry about your Vantage scores. They react differently than Fico scores. My Vantage is in the 730s but my FICOs are 785-793. No mortgage lender is going to look at Vantage. If anything, you should be more concerned with your Fico mortgage scores, particularly the middle score. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Really annoyed at the Vantage issue. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! Really annoyed at the Vantage issue. 

Nothing to be annoyed/worried about.  VS is as close to meaningless as you can get.  Your VS3 could drop to 600 and I wouldn't sweat it.  I see strange things happen with my VS all the time, completely unpredictable, yet I always know exactly where my Fico scores will be and predict any changes to them with accuracy myself before they happen.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.