Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFA, any others in this position?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFA, any others in this position?

NFA= No Fixed Address

I have 7 different addresses for the past 7yrs listed on my CR. I'm sure this hurts me.

Here's the deal- I live on my boat. In 2000 I was facing foreclosure on my house (health/medical issues, subsequent loss of job, you don't want to hear the whole sad story)  & tried selling the boat to keep the house afloat (pun intended) but it just wasn't selling. I lost my house & since I had the boat I moved aboard. I've cruised up & down the coast, Maine to the Bahamas, etc. I maintain a ~legal~ address at a friend's house for driver's license, IRS, SS, voting, passport purposes, but using that address for the mundane things, like bills, proved to be a real hassle and an imposition on my friend's generosity. I tried forwarding through the USPS but that did not work out. So, over the past years I've gotten UPS PO boxes in different ports up & down the coast where I've stayed for longer durations. I'm aware of a few mail forwarding services but they tend to be expensive and snafus crop up.  It's difficult trying to explain my circumstances to a creditor, they seem to have no awareness or comprehension of such a situation or lifestyle. 

Any thoughts from others that may be in a situation similiar to mine? How do you manage it?

Thanks

PS- I really want my ~legal~ address to remain as is for a variety of reasons

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFA, any others in this position?

Aside from your hardship, I can only imagine that living on a boat and traveling like you do would be awesome.

PS.. The extra addresses mean nothing to your score.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani wrote:
Aside from your hardship, I can only imagine that living on a boat and traveling like you do would be awesome.

PS.. The extra addresses mean nothing to your score.

It is an interesting lifestyle, lots of cool eccentric types floating around out there.

Really, the addresses don't come into play? They do show up on my CR and I must always fudge the 'How long at current address' questions.
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Nope.. make no difference to your score. Smiley Happy The "how long you have been at your address" really only applys to stability which could play a role on whether or not you are approved.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.