Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU - Not sure what to do!

tag
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

NFCU - Not sure what to do!

So on Monday, I got an email saying that a member to member transfer account was established on my account. I knew I didn't do it of allow anyone to do it, but I actually thought it was a spoof email to get info. I closed out the email and I called NFCU directly. After confirming my identity, the rep asked me if I just applied for a loan that day....I said no and she said she needed to transfer me to the fraud dept.

I got transferred, and I find out that a member to member transfer was set up and my checking and savings were cleaned out! They sent me an email with a fraud form and I signed and faxed it back from work. He tells me that my account was logged into by an iphone, and that he froze the other account, but that the minute the money from my account hit it, it was transferred out. He also told me that the loan they applied for was denied. They closed my accounts and opened new ones with different account numbers.

So my checking account was left with a -.02cents balance and my savings was left with $5. I had a bunch of bills scheduled in bill pay....which the bill pays couldn't be stopped, so they went out and I just got notification from NFCU that they were all returned, because the account is closed. What do I do now??? I don't want my credit to suffer from something I have no control over! I still can't figure out how they can let someone set up a transfer account and move everything out.....that should send up some red flags! I mean, heck I have to jump through hoops to get info on my own accounts.

I need some advice....what do I do next??? Call my creditors and tell them I have been hacked??? I just got a car loan last week, so it seems awful funny that after the dealership applies for loans on my behalf, I get hacked and start getting phone calls about credit card interest rates and other crap all of a sudden. Also, how long before they give me a credit back to my account....they said I wasn't liable for it. I have to pay my bills!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU - Not sure what to do!

@CountryLivinwrote:

So on Monday, I got an email saying that a member to member transfer account was established on my account. I knew I didn't do it of allow anyone to do it, but I actually thought it was a spoof email to get info. I closed out the email and I called NFCU directly. After confirming my identity, the rep asked me if I just applied for a loan that day....I said no and she said she needed to transfer me to the fraud dept.

I got transferred, and I find out that a member to member transfer was set up and my checking and savings were cleaned out! They sent me an email with a fraud form and I signed and faxed it back from work. He tells me that my account was logged into by an iphone, and that he froze the other account, but that the minute the money from my account hit it, it was transferred out. He also told me that the loan they applied for was denied. They closed my accounts and opened new ones with different account numbers.

So my checking account was left with a -.02cents balance and my savings was left with $5. I had a bunch of bills scheduled in bill pay....which the bill pays couldn't be stopped, so they went out and I just got notification from NFCU that they were all returned, because the account is closed. What do I do now??? I don't want my credit to suffer from something I have no control over! I still can't figure out how they can let someone set up a transfer account and move everything out.....that should send up some red flags! I mean, heck I have to jump through hoops to get info on my own accounts.

I need some advice....what do I do next??? Call my creditors and tell them I have been hacked??? I just got a car loan last week, so it seems awful funny that after the dealership applies for loans on my behalf, I get hacked and start getting phone calls about credit card interest rates and other crap all of a sudden. Also, how long before they give me a credit back to my account....they said I wasn't liable for it. I have to pay my bills!

NFCU should be able to give you an estimate on when the funds will be returned to your account.  As long as you don't go more than 30 days late on anything it's not going to harm you in anyway.  I'm sure they should have it resolved by then.

To be extra safe:

Do you have a credit card or line of credit you can pull some cash from in order to make your minimum payments until you get your money back? Or a friend/family member you can take a small loan from?

You can call your creditors and I'm sure they would offer to help, but sometimes they say one thing and another thing happens (i.e. lates getting reported even when you had an arrangement with them) and it becomes a giant hassle. I would probably go the route of withdrawing some cash from a CC and paying a few bucks interest just to keep everything current.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU - Not sure what to do!

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.  Hopefully NFCU will put back your money ASAP and I would try to get a definitive answer as to when that will happen.  If you haven’t already, freeze all of your credit reports and I would put a fraud alert on them as well.  Definitely contact any creditor/institution that has been scheduled to to be paid from your NDCU account and explain the situation.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.