Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name change and credit reporting agencies

tag
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Name change and credit reporting agencies

So, my eldest DD ties the knot in a couple of weeks.  I've been assisting her with building her credit from nothing (she got a late start since we all used debit or checking only up until a year and a half ago).  We have planned one more credit application and/or CLOC (with NFCU) to round out her build for gardening a couple of years.

Since she will be getting married and changing her name before the planned app, will a name change and new address on the credit app cause issues since nothing in her CRA reports match?

Is there a way to update this info with the CRA prior to the credit app?

TIA!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

Re: Name change and credit reporting agencies

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

Is there a way to update this info with the CRA prior to the credit app?

I don't believe the 3 majors are set up to take a name change directly. Have her do the name change with all her current lenders (as well as her state’s DMV and the Social Security Administration). The name change should hit the CRA's as soon as her current lenders report.

Message 2 of 3
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Name change and credit reporting agencies

After I married my DW, I added her as AU to my cards and Discover asked for documentation for the name change. I sent them a copy of her DL and marriage license then they reported it to the bureaus. She's had no issues since then.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.