cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal App not giving me my FICO score, why?

tag
povertybro
Contributor

Navy Federal App not giving me my FICO score, why?

Since i opened an account 14 months ago, I have not been able to view my credit score. I had a secured card since opening as well and it still has not graduated. 

Navy federal said they are not getting information from Equifax. I called equifax and they said there's not fraudalent info, no marks, no freezes, or anything that would hinder anything. I call navy back and they said it's not their end either, its equifax. 

1. Is this preventing me from graduating

2. What do I do next?

Another question, I can still view my navy federal on other credit beauras as reporting, except experian. I recently disputed a charge and my experian shows it all grayed out with no history at all. Transunion and equifax shows reporting. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal App not giving me my FICO score, why?

@povertybro wrote:

Since i opened an account 14 months ago, I have not been able to view my credit score. I had a secured card since opening as well and it still has not graduated. 

Navy federal said they are not getting information from Equifax. I called equifax and they said there's not fraudalent info, no marks, no freezes, or anything that would hinder anything. I call navy back and they said it's not their end either, its equifax. 

1. Is this preventing me from graduating

None of us can say for sure that this is the only reason your card hasn't graduated in 14 months, but if you have a good credit history, then it's the likely cause.  If you have a lot of baddies on your credit report or a late/NSF payment on your nRewards card, then it's harder to pinpoint which item is holding up graduation.

Navy Fed uses an automated system to graduate the nRewards card to the cashRewards card.  I believe one of the criteria is the EQ FICO 9 score.  I haven't seen the computer source code myself, but if the computer doesn't have your EQ FICO 9 score to evaluate your eligibility for graduation, then it's a strong possibility that the algorithm is programmed to not graduate your nRewards card until you've reached an appropriate EQ FICO 9 score, even if you've met all the other minimum requirements to graduate.

2. What do I do next?

Make sure Navy Fed is using the exact same name with your correct social security number to request your credit report that you're using to read your own credit report.

ETA:  Make sure Navy Fed is using your correct birthdate, too, when requesting your credit report.

If you can't get the missing FICO 9 score issue resolved and you've met all other criteria for graduation, yet your nRewards card still won't graduate, then you'll probably have to close your nRewards card to get your deposit back.  In that case, I would apply for an unsecured Navy Fed card beforehand, then if approved, after I received the new unsecured Navy Fed card, I'd close the nRewards card.  You would have a closed credit card on your CRs, but the account and payment history will stay on your CRs for up to 10 years, all the while helping your FICO scores for average age of accounts and for oldest account, if it is your oldest account.

FICOs:

Message 2 of 6
eyarman128
Established Member

Sounds like to me that your credit is to new and it usually take about 6-12 months to establish a credit score. I would also make sure you are signed up via NF to receive you CS.

Second your card is not graduating for 2 reasons. You are carrying a balance and or not using the card enough. Or your overall credit profile is not in order and you need to address the rest of you file, as NF looks at your overall profile to graduate the secured card. 

Message 3 of 6
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@eyarman128 makes excellent points.  Make sure you've opted in to receive your monthly FICO score.  Have you used your nRewards card for at least one purchase every month and made at least minimum payments for at least 6 months in a row?  FICO scores don't generate until there are at least 6 months of reporting from one or more lenders.  If you don't use a credit card during a monthly billing cycle, the lender is under no obligation to report your non-usage to the CRs.

On the other hand, if you're carrying a balance on your nRewards card, pay it in full for the next few months and see if your card doesn't graduate soon.

Good luck!

FICOs:

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I have same issue with DCU, they cant view  my Eq. I joined another CU and they cant pull my Eq either. Good ol Penfed still can , same denial too lol, so i know my Eq is working. Eq just plain suxsSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

I can't view my score either -and- NFCU isn't reporting to any of the CRAs. Experian said it will take a couple of months to add a new account because of the verification process and they are short-staffed with the pandemic. I didn't reach out to EQ or TU regarding the nonreporting account.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.