Did you mean: 

Need Help....lots.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Help....lots.

amesa wrote:
Noah,

Should I contact the original credit card companies or the collection agencies?

For PFD the OC. I'd start with HSBC (because it's a small amount owed and you'll get the most bang for your buck) and Cap 1 (because they have a nasty habit of sueing within 6 months of SOL).

Call the CRAs and find out the DOFD. You want to know what you're up against. The Circuit City CC, if your roomate went nuts a while back, may be out from under SOL. If so, then you have play hardball with 'em as they cannot sue.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah,

The collection agency (national credit acceptance) is suing me and my ex roommate for the circuit city card.  I jsut looked up the case online and was surprised to see the case agiant me was dismissed on 5/31/2007 becasue they were unable to serve me.  The case against my roomate is still pending and a default was requested.  Will the case being dismissed help me with my credit in anyway? 

adrian   
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

amesa wrote:
Noah,

The collection agency (national credit acceptance) is suing me and my ex roommate for the circuit city card.  I jsut looked up the case online and was surprised to see the case agiant me was dismissed on 5/31/2007 becasue they were unable to serve me.  The case against my roomate is still pending and a default was requested.  Will the case being dismissed help me with my credit in anyway? 

adrian   

Perhaps. At least it cannot show up as a judgment.

I realize you and the roomate may no longer be on good terms, but if you give the roomate a helpful heads up, it could end up helping you. If they get a default judgment against the roomate, then that could end up helping them get a judgment against you.

I'd give the CRAs a call and find out the DOFD. See if they'll fax or mail you something with that date on it. Having that, and assuming it's more than 4 years old, would protect you from a judgment. This would be a potent bit of ammo to protect you, and you won't have to rely upon the roomate.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah,

I'm actually good friends with my ex roommate.  He's been trying to work with collection agency and had made several attempts to have me removed from the account but the collection agency would not  let him. 

I called Cap one and they referred me to a collection agency.  If the account is with a collection agency how are they still charging me interest?  If the collection agency is not listed on my credit reports how will Cap One know when if and when the account is paid?

I'll call the CRA's and ask for the DOFD in the morning.  I have my first set of PFD and GW letters I'm sending. Wish me luck. 
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

amesa wrote:

I called Cap one and they referred me to a collection agency.  If the account is with a collection agency how are they still charging me interest?  If the collection agency is not listed on my credit reports how will Cap One know when if and when the account is paid?

The CA can continue to tack on interest if the cardholder agreement says they can, and if state law permits it. In WV, for example, I know that's illegal. The laws do vary widely state to state.

The CA will take the money and pay the OC. Cap 1 will find out.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.