Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice about Credit card lawsuit

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Need advice about Credit card lawsuit

Hi,

I'm currently working abroad in Asia to pay off debt I ran up in the US during college (this is actually pretty common).

Ive made great strides on my unsecured debt, but I have done no work so far on my charged off credit cards (I have 3) because I've been told that paying them will not positively affect my credit score.

So I just got word that some lawyer back home is taking me to small claims court for a charged off credit card account and I dont know what to do.  There's no way I can go home to take care of this.  I dont want to call up the lawyer and tell them that I'm not in the US because I'm not sure what they'll do knowing that I cant show up to defend myself.

Ive thought about getting a lawyer to do one of those debt negotiation deals but I'm not sure how much they would be able to negotiate nor do I know what to expect to pay them fee wise. (the charged off account is about $5K)

Two of my credit scores are in the upper 600s and one is in the low 700s which is a huge improvement over what I was dealing with even two years ago.  Of course this is all a false sense of accomplishment since I havent actually taken care of all of my bills.

I hate to have a judgement on my credit report destroy all the hard work I've done.  I just dont know what to do though.  Any advice?

Also, should I just apply for a credit card now while my score is semi-decent in hopes that I'll get extended credit before the judgement hits my credit report? (if it comes to that?).

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Need advice about Credit card lawsuit

Hi and welcome to the forums.

If they do file suit and you don't show up they will win by default.

Does anyone have your current address?  Was the source reliable about the lawyer suing you?

How old are these debts? 

SOL may be a little difficult to determine.  It is normally the state you currently reside in.  Since you are not even in the country I am not sure.

I would not invest in an attorney for debt reduction.  You can do that on your own.

Do you know who has the debt, the OC or a CA?

Message 2 of 18
charyot77
Regular Contributor

thanks for your reply!

The source was my mother and she told me that I got a letter in the mail from a lawyer.  I thought it was a summons but I wasnt sure.  My mother isnt very educated and her advice was to ignore this whole thing because I'm not in the country!

I just called the small claims court and they told me that I did have a summons and I'm supposed to appear in court tomorrow.

Should I call the lawyer?  Any advice?

Message 3 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Call the attorney.  Let them know you are out of country and cannot make it to the hearing.  I would also make payment arrangements with them for them not getting the judgment.

I would also call the court clerk and let them know you are out of the country and see what can be done. 

Message 4 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can deal with your inability, or reluctance, to personally appear in court simply by executing a power of attorney to one of your choosing to represent you, as if they were you, in this matter.  .  All you have to do is execute a power of attorney, and designate one to act in your absence.  You can execute a power of attorney to anyone.  It does not have to be a lawyer.

The court wont dismiss the action based on your decision not to personally appear.

You can designate that authority to another.  It is best to designate only a limited power, and best yet to execute it to a member of the bar who will be defending you in court.

Message 5 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

You can deal with your inability, or reluctance, to personally appear in court simply by executing a power of attorney to one of your choosing to represent you, as if they were you, in this matter.  .  All you have to do is execute a power of attorney, and designate one to act in your absence.  You can execute a power of attorney to anyone.  It does not have to be a lawyer.

The court wont dismiss the action based on your decision not to personally appear.

You can designate that authority to another.  It is best to designate only a limited power, and best yet to execute it to a member of the bar who will be defending you in court.

If you were not served they just might.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@charyot77 wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently working abroad in Asia to pay off debt I ran up in the US during college (this is actually pretty common).

Ive made great strides on my unsecured debt, but I have done no work so far on my charged off credit cards (I have 3) because I've been told that paying them will not positively affect my credit score.

So I just got word that some lawyer back home is taking me to small claims court for a charged off credit card account and I dont know what to do.  There's no way I can go home to take care of this.  I dont want to call up the lawyer and tell them that I'm not in the US because I'm not sure what they'll do knowing that I cant show up to defend myself.

Ive thought about getting a lawyer to do one of those debt negotiation deals but I'm not sure how much they would be able to negotiate nor do I know what to expect to pay them fee wise. (the charged off account is about $5K)

Two of my credit scores are in the upper 600s and one is in the low 700s which is a huge improvement over what I was dealing with even two years ago.  Of course this is all a false sense of accomplishment since I havent actually taken care of all of my bills.

I hate to have a judgement on my credit report destroy all the hard work I've done.  I just dont know what to do though.  Any advice?

Also, should I just apply for a credit card now while my score is semi-decent in hopes that I'll get extended credit before the judgement hits my credit report? (if it comes to that?).

I'm afraid it's the proverbial goods news and bad news. 

The bad news is that absence from the country tolls the statute of limitations in virtually every state. 

Good news: Probably they don't know you are out of the country.  They sure would find out in a hurry though if you send in a notarized Power of Attorney to let someone appear for you or if you call to make settlement arrangements and the attorney sees from called ID you are in, say, Hong Kong.  Make sure you use Skype of another international calling service that does not show caller ID details.

More bad news:  Even though you were not personally served, you probably cannot claim defect in service.  First of all, it is a myth that a creditor must somehow have ESP and know exactly which room of the house you occupy.  In most states it is generally sufficient to serve an adult -- or better yet a family member -- at your last reported address.  In many small claims courts service is accomplished simply by mail. 

Good news:  By now there is probably already a default judgment against you.  That being the case, you may stand a good chance at making payment arrangements or even negotiating a settlement with the judgment creditor.  If there already is a judgment, it doesn't matter that they know you are out of the country.  Use that to your advantage and negotiate a decent payment plan if not an outright reduction in the amount of the judgment.  At first they may come off with the attitude that "Hey, we have a judgment so why should we accept less?"  A judgment is never the same as cash and many, many judgment creditors still never collect a penny.  Besides, what good is that judgment when you are in Hong Kong?

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its charged off...don't worry about it. There are these slimy firms out there working under a lawyers name that will buy old charged off debt for pennies on the dollar. Anything the get off you is almost pure profit. And they just try to scare you into paying them something....they can't take you to court for it...they try to tell you they can lien it but its all hogwash Just ignore it as it is unsecured debt already charged off. Once it hits 7years it will disappear completly...Just tell them to go jump in a river when they call.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Its charged off...don't worry about it. There are these slimy firms out there working under a lawyers name that will buy old charged off debt for pennies on the dollar. Anything the get off you is almost pure profit. And they just try to scare you into paying them something....they can't take you to court for it...they try to tell you they can lien it but its all hogwash Just ignore it as it is unsecured debt already charged off. Once it hits 7years it will disappear completly...Just tell them to go jump in a river when they call.

It is precisely uninformed opinions like yours that, if followed, get people into serious difficulty.

The OP stated:  "I just called the small claims court and they told me that I did have a summons and I'm supposed to appear in court tomorrow."

How can anybody in their right mind then say "they can't take you to court for it"?

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because its the truth....Its charged off debt from an unsecured creditor...no way they can win!...Most small claims court can't eve award 5K...its just an effort to scare you. This has been a very common scare tactic from branch offices of citifinancial. If that is who they are just call the main office and they will remove the debt from the branch office and you can negoitiate with them directly. The only way the can get an award is if the debt has not been charged off.....are you SURE its charged off?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.