Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on a big purchase - Please

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

Need advice on a big purchase - Please

I have the cash in the bank but...

I can have NFCU freeze $8500 of my savings and they will give me a loan for 36 @ 2.29%.

As I pay the $8500 back they release my funds.

Is it worth paying 2.29% for 24-36 months?

Thanks in advance.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice on a big purchase - Please

If it were me I’d take that deal in a heartbeat.

You can get basically no-risk returns easily at 3% so anything beneath that APR is free money when talking arbitrage.

Even in riskier equities or whatever over time 6% isn’t unreasonable, not sure where the market is really going now but my own investments have expanded an absurd amount YTD.

S&P 500 is up like 18% and my own investment portfolio is lucky to be doing even better than that.

        
Message 2 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sweeeeeeet. That’s a nice deal. No question I would take it! And, if you paid it off earlier than 36 months, you would be saving on total interest paid!

This is definitely a great use of “Other People Money.”

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 6
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Wait... I must be missing something here. 

If I understand correctly, the money is currently cash he has at NFCU. NFCU is going to use the cash as collateral on a loan to him at 2.29%. 

How is this borrowing "other people's money?" It seems to me he is borrowing his own money and paying for the privelage to do so. 

Message 4 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

He is paying 2% not getting 2%.

OP -  If you have other debt higher than 3% apr that you are going to pay off with the money and want a safety net, it’s a good deal.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 6
tussking
Established Contributor

Yes that’s correct I am paying 2.29% and it reports as a regular loan. Sure I could just use my own cash but I think and maybe others can tell me (who’ve had more experience). I’d rather pay it off in 24-36 months and work towards that with a new loan reporting monthly than just blow my cash. I’m buying a luxury item that I can always sell for more. If I went into Mayors and used their credit it would be a new inquiry plus a few points higher for the new loan/credit card. Am I missing something?
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.