Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice regarding credit cards with death of the card holder

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Need advice regarding credit cards with death of the card holder UPDATE

Just an update. I spoke with discover they were very nice stated that I would receive a call or a letter from one of their companies to just verify that there was no probate etc I am sure that is pretty standard in these situations. I have a few others to call and I hope they go as smoothly.

Thanks again
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 21 of 32
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Well finally got around to calling her credit card companies. I contacted Chase, capone, snychrony and Amex. All were very kind and it went smoothly, stated I may be receiving a call or a letter from their estate company verifying there were no assets/estate. Which I am sure is how that goes, I am sure they will conduct a search for assets etc and see there are not any. 

Funny though Amex asked if I would like the account changed to my name and take over, ummmmm NO, found that kinda of odd lol.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 22 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Well finally got around to calling her credit card companies. I contacted Chase, capone, snychrony and Amex. All were very kind and it went smoothly, stated I may be receiving a call or a letter from their estate company verifying there were no assets/estate. Which I am sure is how that goes, I am sure they will conduct a search for assets etc and see there are not any. 

Funny though Amex asked if I would like the account changed to my name and take over, ummmmm NO, found that kinda of odd lol.

I'm glad to hear it all went smoothly... your experience closely mirrors my own a couple of years ago.  The letter(s) you get are really just a formality; there will probably be a short form for you to check a box for 'no estate' which you'll send back in a postage-paid envelope.  The few that we got didn't even require a signature (YMMV on that, of course). 

American Express offering to let you take over the account is unusual, but you're not the first I've heard of getting that offer.  I'm with you, though, there is certainly no reason to take it over, especially if there was a balance due.  (I can see how this could be helpful for a surviving spouse in a community property state, though, since they are often still responsible for any balance... in that case there's nothing to lose.)

Message 23 of 32
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes I understand. Hey I may have if it didn't have a balance since the limit is higher than they every gave me.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 24 of 32
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Really glad to read this.

You've been in my thoughts.. What a sad time of year for this- I'm still very sorry..

I'm glad it's all going smoothly for you- the last thing you need is added stress.

GroupHug.gif

Message 25 of 32
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Really glad to read this.

You've been in my thoughts.. What a sad time of year for this- I'm still very sorry..

I'm glad it's all going smoothly for you- the last thing you need is added stress.

GroupHug.gif

Thank you. Everyone has been so kind and helpful. Yes I am trying not to stress,  still waiting on insurance so I can pay the funeral home, a little stress with that until I can get that done but I am handling itSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 26 of 32
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice regarding credit cards with death of the card holder

@Jnbmom wrote:

My mother passed away this past saturday, although she has not been well for quite sometime, it has been a very hard loss.

She has around 6 cards currently with balances,  she has zero assets and does not have any estate or any money left.

I need to know how to handle this correctly? Do I just call the credit card companies and notify them of her passing? I know I need to close her accounts of course,  do I them tell them there was no estate, do they just close them and then do I send a copy of her DC? She had a very small life insurance policy which is barely covering her funeral expenses,  so there really is nothing left to pay off this debt.

Thank you 

I’m so very sorry for your loss. I went through this with my mother in Jan. 2014. Same circumstances and no issues.

I recommend you contact bureaus on your own. A copy of your ID and DC, along with her ID. Just ask for it to be frozen. You don’t have to worry later about fraud.

I also recommend opting her name out of mail. It’s amazing how it will still come, especially junk. Five years later and I’ll get the random piece.

Wishing you peace and strength.

Message 27 of 32
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@blindambition wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

My mother passed away this past saturday, although she has not been well for quite sometime, it has been a very hard loss.

She has around 6 cards currently with balances,  she has zero assets and does not have any estate or any money left.

I need to know how to handle this correctly? Do I just call the credit card companies and notify them of her passing? I know I need to close her accounts of course,  do I them tell them there was no estate, do they just close them and then do I send a copy of her DC? She had a very small life insurance policy which is barely covering her funeral expenses,  so there really is nothing left to pay off this debt.

Thank you 

I’m so very sorry for your loss. I went through this with my mother in Jan. 2014. Same circumstances and no issues.

I recommend you contact bureaus on your own. A copy of your ID and DC, along with her ID. Just ask for it to be frozen. You don’t have to worry later about fraud.

I also recommend opting her name out of mail. It’s amazing how it will still come, especially junk. Five years later and I’ll get the random piece.

Wishing you peace and strength.

Thank you.  Yes my father passed 6 years ago, he never had a credit card so I didn't have to deal with this with his passing, but yes didn't think about mail, I still get random things for my dad.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 28 of 32
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss. Big hugs and positive thoughts for your family at such a hard time.

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 29 of 32
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@ToughFistFight wrote:
I'm so sorry for your loss. Big hugs and positive thoughts for your family at such a hard time.

Thank you

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.