Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding the law on this...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help finding the law on this...

Discovered that a mortgage company revealed my husband's social security number to a non-authorized third party.  Considering they refused to speak to me (his wife) about ANYTHING unless they had a written authorization from him giving permission to speak to them about the account, I am fairly certain that revealing his non-public personal information is a violation of SOMETHING.

I am having trouble finding the statute that covers this.  Not sure if this falls under the FDCPA or and FTC rule.  Anyone have a better idea where I could find the information?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help finding the law on this...

Why don't you have him call them and see what's going on?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a long story, but the account is closed and we are trying to get them to delete it from his credit report.  Discovered the social security reveal among paperwork.

Message 3 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

If I may ask, did the account go bad? Is that why you want to get it deleted from his report? How old is the account and how long has it been closed? Yes they may have violated some sort of law or statue and if "no harm no foul" was done it may be hard for anyone to accept the case. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 6
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I am fairly certain that upon sending the debt to another CA or selling it off they are legally able to give his personal information with the debt as well. This is how the new CA is able to properly have it reported and added to your consumer file.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 5 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Who is this non authorized thrid party that you are refering to?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.