Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your advice on what to pay down!

tag
Winchester2005
Valued Member

Need your advice on what to pay down!

So I just came across 2000 dollars (old class action settlement check) and usually wheb I get extra money that's not a negligible amount, I barely let it touch my account and throw it at my debt right away. Usually I do a snowball like payment plan, but I paid off a lot of my smaller balances due to a bonus I received earlier this year. 

My stats:

Key 7100/7500//16.99%

Citi 5600/7700//17.99%

CU CC 11983/15000//9.75%

BOA 14000/15000//22.99%

And then I have 6 revolving with 0 bal:

Slate 0/2500

Disney 0/3800

Diamond 0/3440

Usbank 0/6500

Discover 0/12500

AMEX 0/1800

Installment:

21100/23000 auto loan (6mo old)//5.39%

One recently paid off auto loan

5047/7500 personal loan(25 mo old)//12.75%

I'm kind of stuck on what to paydown as there's no small balances to payoff. And there's pros and cons to each. One thing I noticed was I just paid off my 2nd auto loan that opened in Jul 2017 and my fico went from 722 to 705, with the reason being the now high Installment loan unpaid principal balance.

What's your advice? My inclinations are either keybank due to highest revolving utilization, or personal loan and hopefully paying down some of that Installment loan makes up for paying off my 2nd auto loan?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Need your advice on what to pay down!

The points you lost when you paid off your second auto loan sound like they were from the installment balance-to-loan ratio metric.  If $5,000 is enough to pay your installments down to the same aggregate b:l that you had before you paid off the second car loan or better, then you should see the points you lost there return.  However, unless your auto loan and/or your personal loan are with a lender that does not advance the maturity date on prepayment (most do), then any gains here would also be lost more quickly because the loan would be closing that much sooner.  Additionally, revolving util is weighed much more heavily than installment b:l on versions 8 and 9, so $5k applied to one of your cc's might be more bang for your buck on those versions in the long run.

From what you've posted here, your current revolving util would be:

Aggregate: 51.1%

Highest individual (Key Bank): 94.7%

If you apply the full $5k to Key, the revolver you're most considering, it would be:

Aggregate: 44.4%

Highest individual (BoA): 93%

So agg util would come down some, which might help, but highest individual wouldn't really move b/c the individual util on Key and BoA are so close.  You could consider instead applying $2.5k to each, which would take their individual util's both below that of your next highest, which is the CU card @ 79.9%.  That way you would be posting some improvement to both metrics.

That's ofc considering scoring alone.  If you find snowball method the most effective and motivating, then I would continue with that and just pay off most of the Citi card.  Alternatively, the BoA card has the highest rate of all your listed lines, so applying your $5k there would save you the most on interest.

Message 2 of 10
Winchester2005
Valued Member

Excellent thank you for your advice. To be clear, I only have 2k not 5k that suddenly will be coming my way (I may have had a typo in my original post)

So, from what I gather and what I know of personal loans, prepaying doesn't move the maturity date at all (in this personal loans case the mat date is 5/2024). So if I were to use the 2k to pay down that personal loan you're saying it'll get paid off sooner than that anticipated 5/2024 mat date since the payment amt will stay the same, but once it's paid off it may hurt score again like the 2nd auto?

So it does sound like if the revolving util weighs more heavily (and I do get more motivation with snowball/paying down smaller bals first) paying down on that Simplicity card may be best with the 2k.

As a side note, should I stop extra payments I have going to my personal loan? The payment amt is 170.57, and I usually pay that amt every other week rather than just once a month. It sounds like that won't help my score too much?( I just started doing this literally last paycheck, so good to know if it doesn't help it too much I can start applying that to the Simplicity card)

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would work very hard on getting any account that is over 89% down first, as they're considered maxed out. Not only is there an additional score penalty for this, but it indicates financial distress and may very easily lead to adverse action from any or all lenders. Once that starts, you can be in pain for quite awhile. Yes, I'd take that second loan payment and throw that at your revolving debt, along with every extra dollar you can drum up, until you get all cards below 49%. Then you can breathe more easily while continuing to pay them down further.

Message 4 of 10
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Strictly speaking, it would make the most financial sense to put it towards the BoA balance as that's your highest interest rate.  It would also drop the utilization on that card to about 80%, which may net a couple points.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 5 of 10
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Winchester2005 wrote:

Excellent thank you for your advice. To be clear, I only have 2k not 5k that suddenly will be coming my way (I may have had a typo in my original post)

Ah.  That changes the math on your util for the different ways you could apply the money, but you could run those yourself and see how they come out.

So, from what I gather and what I know of personal loans, prepaying doesn't move the maturity date at all (in this personal loans case the mat date is 5/2024). So if I were to use the 2k to pay down that personal loan you're saying it'll get paid off sooner than that anticipated 5/2024 mat date since the payment amt will stay the same, but once it's paid off it may hurt score again like the 2nd auto?

Who is your personal loan with?  If they advance maturity date on prepayment like most lenders, then applying the $2k to the personal loan would cause it to be paid off sooner.  If they do not advance maturity date on prepayment, then applying the $2k to the PL would not cause it to be paid off sooner.  You should be able to call up your lender and find out which is their policy.  When your PL is paid off, it could cause a score decrease if the change to aggregate balance-to-loan from subtracting its balance from the numerator and its original loan amount from the denominator causes that metric to move back up across scoring thresholds.

So it does sound like if the revolving util weighs more heavily (and I do get more motivation with snowball/paying down smaller bals first) paying down on that Simplicity card may be best with the 2k.

If snowball method has worked the best to help you tackle your debt, then, yeah, it might be best to stay that course so you stay on track for paydown.  Taking a temporary detour to get your 90%+ util cards down below 89.4% and then going back to the snowball method to help mitigate the risk of AA also sounds like a good idea to me, too.

As a side note, should I stop extra payments I have going to my personal loan? The payment amt is 170.57, and I usually pay that amt every other week rather than just once a month. It sounds like that won't help my score too much?( I just started doing this literally last paycheck, so good to know if it doesn't help it too much I can start applying that to the Simplicity card)

Agree with @Anonymous that, for now, that money is probably best applied to your revolving balances as part of the snowball.  That way you're concentrating all of your extra debt paydown on reducing a particular minimum monthly payment, you're tackling your higher-interest debt category first, and attending to your balances in a way that's more in line with what lenders might expect or want (since installment loans are designed to be paid in the agreed amount over their term, but, in the eyes of lenders, responsible revolving involves paying down the balances more quickly than just the minimum payment).

Message 6 of 10
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Winchester2005 Guess my first question would be how much are you paying monthly towards each of them? I would take 983 and put it toward CU card and 1000 and put toward BOA. Also try asking for a CLI on the cards that offer SP to increase your scores more. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 7 of 10
SlideOrInsert
Regular Contributor

In addition to the CLI requests, do you have any balance transfer options? Current interest alone is $604 monthly.

bankapr %limitbalutilint/month $
BOA22.99150001400093268
CU CC9.7515000119838097
Discover 12500000
Key16.997500710095101
Citi17.99770056007384
Loan 212.75750050476754
    TOTAL604

For example, BOA Citi and Discover all have 12mo/0% offers available to me at this time.  If you did as well, you could put the 2000 towards BOA and transfer 12000 to Discover at 0%. Then transfer Key 7100 + Citi 5600 to BOA at 0%.

bankapr %limitbalutilint/month $
BOA01500013081870
CU CC9.7515000119838097
Discover01250012360990
Key16.997500000
Citi17.997700000
Loan 212.75750050476754
    TOTAL151

So what does that accomplish? Interest alone reduces to $151 monthly. Continue to pay the most to BOA because at the end of the period that 23% hits the remaining balance.

Yes there are ~3% balance transfer fees, $741 which are included in the new BOA and Discover balances, but remember $453 per month going towards principle instead of interest.

Yes one account is still maxed, but applying the ~$4500 in interest savings for the year to one of those accounts will help you pay it off completely.

upgrade
9/2022
$30000
nfcu
8/2020
$20000
nfcu
12/2018
$30000
bofa
8/2016
$30000
citi
3/2016
$21000
discover
5/2014
$20000
chase
10/2007
$8900
Message 8 of 10
Webspry
Established Member

If you don't have any emergency cash under the mattress or in the bank I'd put it there. 

Message 9 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Loans are looked at by FICO in a different light. FICO knows once you take out a loan your util will be high.  Now do that to a revolving credit account and your nailed. Two different scenarios. So like some said. Forget the extra loan payment. Just pay the one loan. Put the extra payment towards your credit card debt. Paying down revolving debt does more good than paying down a loan score-wise. In fact give your cards to a family member who can hold them so no charges can be applied until they are paid off. Think of the interest your paying that you'll never see again. Main goal is get out of debt and never get the swipe fever again.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.