Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SS# due to identity theft

tag
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Re: New SS# due to identity theft

@tricie17 wrote:

@SweetCreditObsession No it was not the company that managed and filed for me and I can not remember how I found out. It may have been something that came back from the IRS. I called the company and reported to them that my SS# had been compromised through their site. It was a nightmare for me however, the company went to work in helping me along with finding out the State that it happened out of. I reported to all entities such as FTC, SSA, IRS and police department. The police dept must be the first reporting agency and the report must be loaded with all information, FTC was second, IRS was third and they will direct to SSA. SSA is the agency that offered the card. Acceptance or not is confidential. I hope this helps with anyone going thru this. I do not know if this will be the same result as this happened at least 5 years ago.

Again - I cannot thank you enough for sharing your experience. You are so right, it's a huge nightmare and there doesn't seem to be a lot of help for victims of ID theft in rebuilding and part of it is the lack of a clear path. Thank you so much for shedding some light on that. 

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 11 of 12
fm92555
Regular Contributor

Re: New SS# due to identity theft

The Social Security Administration does have a procedure for this.

I did this 25 years ago before they had the  procedure online.

you basically have to show that your number was used  fraudulently using police reports AND that the fraud is continuing and you can't do anything about it.

The AND part is where people get the process wrong. They only show it has been fraudulently used in the past and not that it is continuing.

The process is outlined in their POMS manuals.  Follow the instructions exactly. They also describe what situation and documentation they will not accept.

Here is the thing though. The credit bureaus will now link your files even with different old SSN credit files and new SSN files using all the other data they know about you (name, addresses, birth date, relatives, employment etc.).

Also, you won't be able to get credit for a couple years as the credit bureaus will flag you for having a new number but your 21or older and can't support getting a new number as part of being an immigration process or a child whose parents never filed for a card. 

In my experience you are better off taking that same amount of time to fix your credit. 

Two years fixing your credit and you would be in the same place.

Yes it blows, but much easier to start today fixing your credit.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.