cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account in collections...should I just pay it in full?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New account in collections...should I just pay it in full?

So I just got a new account in collections from the CBE Group Inc. This was from my Time Warner bill couple years ago in college when I was living offcampus. I left before the last bill and I have forgotten about it until it haunted me couple days ago on my credit report. I was wondering if it would be worth it if I should just pay it off immediately (worth $216) and ask for a PFD? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New account in collections...should I just pay it in full?

Yes of course.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most definitely!
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

....the PFD offer should come before you pay.

Message 4 of 7
JVille
Valued Contributor

Make a call and get them to agree to REMOVE the collection (like it never happened) in exchange for payment in full.
Be super nice, tell them you had no idea as you thought you paid everything before moving. Be real concerned about how it’s possible they would not send a bill as you never received anything with your mail forwarded to new address.
Bottom line you want to be nice to this person who has the power to do BIG damage to your Credit Rating.
Message 5 of 7
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

Everything JVille said... CBE group is pretty easy to work with, shouldn't have a problem... They PFD an account for me from DirectTV maybe 2 years ago (and was also a settlement, not full amount).  Goodluck!! Smiley Wink

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a $200 ER bill in collections I did not know that there was a hospital bill and a dr bill so I ended up only paying one. At first I didn’t care but when I started getting into credit I was getting denied so I called them up and had them mail me a letter saying if I paid they would erase it completely. At first they said they couldn’t do that so I told them that unless they send the letter they aren’t getting paid and I hung up on them. They called back shortly after and said they were sending it out. Paid the bill and when it dropped off my credit score went up pretty high. Definitely worth it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.