Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and looking for guidance...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New and looking for guidance...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I am basically just looking for some guidance and thoughts. I recently Cosigned for a mortgage with a friend of mine. I have no worries about missed payments or anything like that. My concern is that my score dropped 21 points as soon as the mortgage reported. Went from 720 to 699. I do have some pretty high credit balances, so tha doesn't help. The one thing I noticed on my reports from 720 to 699 is that the average length of my accounts went from being classified as very good to good.

If I keep making payments on all accounts including mortgage and don't change much else how long before my credit comes back up?

Also, I might be taken off the mortgage loan in a few months. Once that happens, how will that most likely affect my score? I am not looking for exact answers as I know there are many different factors in determining FICO scores. Just some general guidance on what to expect and if there's anything else I can do. FYI, We signed on to the mortgage in September and it just reported last week.

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: New and looking for guidance...

your score dropped because of the new account showing, which dropped your average age of accounts.  i'm sure it also dropped a tad because of the new debt.

bringing your utilization down will help your scores the quickest.

Message 2 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I am basically just looking for some guidance and thoughts. I recently Cosigned for a mortgage with a friend of mine. I have no worries about missed payments or anything like that. My concern is that my score dropped 21 points as soon as the mortgage reported. Went from 720 to 699. I do have some pretty high credit balances, so tha doesn't help. The one thing I noticed on my reports from 720 to 699 is that the average length of my accounts went from being classified as very good to good.

If I keep making payments on all accounts including mortgage and don't change much else how long before my credit comes back up?

Also, I might be taken off the mortgage loan in a few months. Once that happens, how will that most likely affect my score? I am not looking for exact answers as I know there are many different factors in determining FICO scores. Just some general guidance on what to expect and if there's anything else I can do. FYI, We signed on to the mortgage in September and it just reported last week.

All responses are greatly appreciated.

To add to what laz said 21 point sounds about right. You had a new inquiry, new credit added to your file, and it probably did lower your AAoA. You'll see most of that score back in 6 months or so.

How will you be taken off the mortgage? As far as I know that can only be done if the other co-signer refinances with a new loan on their name only. But I could be wrong about that.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Any score damage will go away in a year or less, with all else being equal.

I'm not an expert on mortgage loans by any means, but I don't believe you can be removed from the mortgage unless you refinance.

Glad you're posting; you've been here since the beginning!

ETA...I'm a slow typer today....

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other registered owner is going to refinance the loan and take me off.

Will this be a positive, negative or neutral effect on my score?

Message 5 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

To NC99,

I try and always welcome people but I neglected to do so for you. (It's been a long day).

I apologize for that.

Message 6 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO, going from $xxx,xxx to $0 when you refi won't impact your FICO scores any either way.

Message 7 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The other registered owner is going to refinance the loan and take me off.

Off topic a bit but I would think that will certainly mean a lot of closing costs for that person. Two new mortgage loans in just a few months.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would assume so as well. But, this was understood at the time when we agreed to do the original loan together. And thank you for welcoming me in.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.