Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here! Need advice

tag
8isnuf
Established Member

New here! Need advice

I am new here. My credit scores are 640 - 650 depending on the report. My UTI is a little higher than 40% so I want to lower that. I have much student loan debt but it is still in the grace period. I have no derogatory accounts. What is the best course of action. I work part time because I recently finished graduate school. I am looking for a full time position. Husband is employed full time making six figures but has very high UTI. Scores are about the same.  All three of my bureaus are frozen because of fraudulent changes (not mine) made on a debit card a few years ago. I will have to unfreeze to apply for other credit. 2 credit cards, no car payment, authorized user on 3 credit cards. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: New here! Need advice

@8isnuf wrote:

I am new here. My credit scores are 640 - 650 depending on the report. My UTI is a little higher than 40% so I want to lower that. I have much student loan debt but it is still in the grace period. I have no derogatory accounts. What is the best course of action. I work part time because I recently finished graduate school. I am looking for a full time position. Husband is employed full time making six figures but has very high UTI. Scores are about the same.  All three of my bureaus are frozen because of fraudulent changes (not mine) made on a debit card a few years ago. I will have to unfreeze to apply for other credit. 2 credit cards, no car payment, authorized user on 3 credit cards. 

1. You should get yourself taken off the authorized user cards, since your husband has high utilization.

2. Of course you need to unfreeze the bureaus.

3. You should get both cards down to 28% or less.

After these are accomplished, your scores should be improved.  IMHO this is not a time in your life to be adding on new credit accounts, but if you do want to add something, find out what your 3 FICO 8 scores are after everything has reported and come back to us with an idea of the type of credit account you want to add, and we will be able to give you some ideas.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
8isnuf
Established Member

I respect your opinion especially since I am very new to these concepts. My concern with removing me from the authorized user accounts, I think there are only 2, is that I did not use credit cards unitl I was added. Because of this my credit file appears to be new (2016). My scores then were almost 800. I had a couple of small personal loans (2011) which were paid promptly in an effort to build credit.

I have been trying to reduce the balances on his cards, especially where I am an authorized user, but it has been an uphill battle. One company reduced the balance to the amount owed. Ugghhhh......

I really do not want to increase my credit balances; my main purpose is to position myself for possible divorce. My hope in getting a new account would be to decrease my UTI. Once employed in my chosen field I should command a six figure income as well. 

I am trying to remove the freezes but Equifax always gives me problems. 

Thoughts? 

Message 3 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi and welcome

IMHO, because you are positioning yourself for divorce, is to have your name removed from those 2 accts where you are an AU. Then you should see a bump in your FICO scores.

Then, commence to adding prime cards if your scores and income are good.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 10
8isnuf
Established Member

Thank you that is very helpful advice. 

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@8isnuf wrote:

I respect your opinion especially since I am very new to these concepts. My concern with removing me from the authorized user accounts, I think there are only 2, is that I did not use credit cards unitl I was added. Because of this my credit file appears to be new (2016). My scores then were almost 800. I had a couple of small personal loans (2011) which were paid promptly in an effort to build credit.

I have been trying to reduce the balances on his cards, especially where I am an authorized user, but it has been an uphill battle. One company reduced the balance to the amount owed. Ugghhhh......

I really do not want to increase my credit balances; my main purpose is to position myself for possible divorce. My hope in getting a new account would be to decrease my UTI. Once employed in my chosen field I should command a six figure income as well. 

I am trying to remove the freezes but Equifax always gives me problems. 

Thoughts? 

What you just said confirms 2 of the 3 things I just said.

Get yourself off of the authorized user cards.

Get the bureaus unfrozen.

And as I mentioned, you should make sure your revolving balances each report at 28% or less.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The above posters are dead on correct. Having his balance reduced like that is called balance-chasing, and next time a payment is made, it’s likely his limit will be lowered again. They’ll keep doing it until they’re comfortable with their exposure, which may mean chasing him to zero and closing the card. It’s a very bad omen, and your score likely is being affected by it. High utilization on an AU card will hurt you.

Instead of paying on his card, use that money to pay your own cards down, and as stated, remove yourself from his accounts. As an AU you have zero legal liability for them, married or not. Build your own history with your cards instead, and manage them better than he’s managing his.
Message 7 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The above posters are dead on correct. Having his balance reduced like that is called balance-chasing, and next time a payment is made, irs likely his limit will be lowered again. They’ll keep doing it until they’re comfortable with their exposure, which may mean chasing him to zero and closing the card. It’s a very bad omen, and your score likely is being affected by it. High utilization on an AU card will hurt you.

Instead of paying on his card, use that money to pay your own cards down, and as stated, remove yourself from his accounts. As an AU you have zero legal liability for them, married or not. Build your own history with your cards instead, and manage them better than he’s managing his.

+100

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 10
8isnuf
Established Member

Thanks again for the advice. I am working on it now. If there are other suggestions, I am open to hearing ideas. 

Message 9 of 10
8isnuf
Established Member

Update:  I requested removal as AU from all accounts, some have not updated the removal yet. FICO 8 scores are 650 EX; 653 EQ; 655 TU (pulled through Experian membership). I had one deliquency (Verizon) resulting from change in carriers and misapplied payments. Paid it because I could not resolve. It was removed for a couple of month but surfaced again. TU is reporting timeshare as conventional real estate mortgage and delinquent. The other 2 CRAs are not reporting. 

Oldest account 18 years; AAoA is approx 5 years.

I would like to consolidate about $6k if possible. Thoughts? 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.