Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New in the USA, no credit score

tag
lasnoufle
Visitor

New in the USA, no credit score

Hello everybody

I came over to the US to work since last October. Because of this, I don't even have a credit score so far. Is it true that I have no option to get a mortgage whatsoever?

Properties I'm interested in in my area are around 150k; I'm making 85k a year and my wife 35k so that's a total of 120k gross (and with bonuses on top). We usually set 2k to 3k aside in savings every month, on top of 1200 in rent - so we could cover a mortgage with no problem whatsoever - the rent only is already equivalent to the mortgage repayment PLUS the property taxes!

I've checked with my bank but they won't lend me because I have no credit score. They just don't care about my salary, its ratio compared to the property price or the fact that my current rent alone would cover everything. Checking on the web seems to tell me I can only rely on FHA mortgages - but they also expect at least 2 years of proven records of paying usual bills (rent, electricity etc) which I don't have either since I've only been here 6 months.

Have I really no possibility to get a mortgage?

Thanks and regards

G

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: New in the USA, no credit score

Get two or three credit cards and you will generate a score in six months. I recommend one to be the capital one for newcomers, which is just for immigrants.

. Do you have a social security number yet?

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@lasnoufle wrote:

Hello everybody

I came over to the US to work since last October. Because of this, I don't even have a credit score so far. Is it true that I have no option to get a mortgage whatsoever?

Properties I'm interested in in my area are around 150k; I'm making 85k a year and my wife 35k so that's a total of 120k gross (and with bonuses on top). We usually set 2k to 3k aside in savings every month, on top of 1200 in rent - so we could cover a mortgage with no problem whatsoever - the rent only is already equivalent to the mortgage repayment PLUS the property taxes!

I've checked with my bank but they won't lend me because I have no credit score. They just don't care about my salary, its ratio compared to the property price or the fact that my current rent alone would cover everything. Checking on the web seems to tell me I can only rely on FHA mortgages - but they also expect at least 2 years of proven records of paying usual bills (rent, electricity etc) which I don't have either since I've only been here 6 months.

Have I really no possibility to get a mortgage?

Thanks and regards

G

You can try NACA if they are available in your area. Credit scores are not needed.

Just keep in mind they arent the fastest program out there, but I can say they will actually be the cheapest mortgage rate you will obtain with the possibility of buying down your rate to almost 0%.

The program is based on your savings, and if you are already saving on a consistent month to month basis, the program may not take as long for you.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 8
JMills
Frequent Contributor

Capital One has a new credit card for people that are newcomers to the country. Here you go

Capital One Cash Rewards for Newcomers Credit Card

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/cash-rewards-for-newcomers/
Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Do you and your spouse have a social security number?

Have you tried to get a secured card from your bank? 

Message 5 of 8
lasnoufle
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

I guess I'm stuck then.

I don't intend to take any credit card as I don't need any for everyday life, and taking some just to be able to buy a house with a bad rate in 6 months or one year, and have to wait several years more to get a good rate doesn't make sense to me. The houses I've checked and am interested in are on the market now, and I might not find something equivalent or that I like in 6 months.

I guess I'll just keep renting then... Or check if I can get a mortgage in my home country (probably unlikely). I just find it strange that banks would skip their turn on such easy money.

Regards

G

Message 6 of 8
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@lasnoufle wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

I guess I'm stuck then.

I don't intend to take any credit card as I don't need any for everyday life, and taking some just to be able to buy a house with a bad rate in 6 months or one year, and have to wait several years more to get a good rate doesn't make sense to me. The houses I've checked and am interested in are on the market now, and I might not find something equivalent or that I like in 6 months.

I guess I'll just keep renting then... Or check if I can get a mortgage in my home country (probably unlikely). I just find it strange that banks would skip their turn on such easy money.

Regards

G

Income is not necessarily indicative of one's propensity to repay one's financial obligations.  There are posters here who make six figures and at the same time are recovering from bankruptcy.

Also, if you're content with continuing to rent, why don't you apply for a couple credit cards and build some credit?  If you're willing to go so far as to rent indefinitely, renting for a year or two while building credit should be a cakewalk.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 7 of 8
mirachi
Regular Contributor

@lasnoufle wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

I guess I'm stuck then.

Regards

G

Even if you don't intend on using credit cards, I'd still suggest you at least get one card, use it once (so that it starts to report), pay it off, and then put it away somewhere. That way, you'll have a credit history if a house you like does come into the market in the future~

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.