Not applicable

Re: New telephone scam

smiley-laughing021.gif

That's awesome Dave 😆 

Message 11 of 31
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

I’ve recently started getting so many scam calls that I downloaded the Robokiller app on my phone.  It’s awesome.  It has its own data base of scam numbers that have been reported, plus you can add others that you want blocked.  It also has a library of “answer bots” that you can choose from to answer the scam calls to your numbers.  They range from funny to angry.  My current selection tells the scammer that, while I realize they called my number they have actually won a cruise, and proceeds to ask who they are going to take with them, etc.  A total waste of their time! LOL. Every time a scammer calls and Robokillers answers, it will let you know and if the scammer stays on the line, Robokiller will record the interaction.  Can be quite entertaining!

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 12 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

My mobile is powered down unless I need to make a call. VM not initialized. Must frustrate the devil out of them. Home phone calls are screened with answering machine. Danged robocallers always seem to ring in while they are giving the weather report on TV.

Well, whatever works for you, but my attitude is I won't let them inconvenience me. I get a ton of robocalls on my employer issued iPhone which is the local county government, and lately they've been mostly live callers. One persistent caller was "Hi, this is (name) and I'm calling you as you left your resume on our website", I figure it's some scam to try to get you to pay some fee, which is to get you to give them a CC#. So I tried "You're calling a county government phone line, no one left you a county government phone # to call them back", didn't work, they kept right on with their spiel so I hang up.

So I've been trying a different approach, answering the call with: "Arizona State Attorney General's office, fraudulent robo call hotline. Are you calling to report a fraudulent robocall?" They hang up in about half a second. Smiley Very Happy

😂🤣😂😅

🍻

Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peazmom wrote:

I’ve recently started getting so many scam calls that I downloaded the Robokiller app on my phone.  It’s awesome.  It has its own data base of scam numbers that have been reported, plus you can add others that you want blocked.  It also has a library of “answer bots” that you can choose from to answer the scam calls to your numbers.  They range from funny to angry.  My current selection tells the scammer that, while I realize they called my number they have actually won a cruise, and proceeds to ask who they are going to take with them, etc.  A total waste of their time! LOL. Every time a scammer calls and Robokillers answers, it will let you know and if the scammer stays on the line, Robokiller will record the interaction.  Can be quite entertaining!

OMG - awesome!  Hahahhahaha

I have to answer my cell for work, but this sounds hilariously entertaining.   This robocall didn't surprise me so much - I've gotten three one-ring hangups this week from Guatemala and Mauritius.  Checking for a live line, maybe. I was getting robocalls in Chinese, for a while.

Message 14 of 31
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Peazmom wrote:

@Peazmom 

I have robokiller but wasn't aware of that feature. May I ask how I access that feature? 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 15 of 31
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Peazmom wrote:

@Peazmom 

I have robokiller but wasn't aware of that feature. May I ask how I access that feature? 

Once you are in the Robokiller app, look along the bottom ribbon, you should see “answer bots”.  If you select that you can toggle on the “Use Answer Bots”, then you can select an individual answer or you can select to rotate through them all.

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 16 of 31
Hut1
Established Contributor

I can't even deal with my DH and his shenanigans with scammers. This one time, he pressed whatever button to speak with a live scammer. Once he got on the phone with "Larry", he acted overly interested regarding the call and then began acting concerned about his call dropping, so he asked if Larry had a call back number and Larry gave it to him. That's when my husband got giddy. Lol. DH just dawdled on and on until Larry got frustrated & hung up.  Well, DH called him back using the number he provided which went straight to a call center type area. He asked for Larry & was transferred. Larry eventually hung up again. DH called back. This went on & on until a Supervisor finally jumped on the line & said "Enough! We will be wiping your debt with the IRS, sir. There is no more reason for you to call Larry again. Thank you for your time & attention clearing this matter." 😂

It was the most ridiculous & entertaining 35 mins I've ever watched. 

download

Message 17 of 31
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Hi,  thanks to anyone who responded to my post higher in this thread. I understand that the calls are automated with no human frustrated when a call that is not completed. My mobile is powered down because I don't care to be bothered when I'm away from home. If it were not for the possibility of a roadside issue I would not have a mobile at all. I just don't enjoy phones. I did heavy phones at work and was on call 24/7/365 to calls. I'm retired. I gave at the office. If I never received another incomming call it would be ok with me.  The mobile VM was not initialized due to a very impatient friend who would shotgun all phones, text and leave VM about nothing. 

Calls to the home phone are screened for the same reason. Just don't want to be bothered. The do not call registry was good for about four weeks. It was peaceful without the phone ringing. I don't check caller ID because I don't care. Friends know to leave a message. If I hear someone speaking I will pick up if I'm home. One or  two have an issue with that. They can send email or not. I really don't care. If someone expects me to be on call again call pay is required. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

My Social Security account has been suspended so many times it must have a negative balance by now . . .

Oh yea, the "Department of Social Security Administration" (side note: get it together, scammers - if you can't be bothered to even get the name right....) calls me at least 3 times a day. Between them and the "Internal Revenue Service" telling me I'm about to be arrested if I don't pay my taxes immediately, it is just nice to know the government is remembering I'm here.

Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peazmom wrote:

I used Robokiller when I was getting tons of calls from this collection agency for someone who wasn't me (and they absolutely refused to accept that they had the wrong number). I set the recording to be someone freaking out about being recorded. It was great to listen to the agent get the supervisor on the phone. Neither of them realizing it was a recording. 

I had to shut it down when I started job searching. But I truly enjoyed that app for a little bit.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.