Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Forum!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to the Forum!

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum. About me and why I have registered to this forum. I have what I like to think is a good credit score and report. I registered hoping to gain more knowledge on specific credit issues and how to fix issues as they arise. I think I'm the only member of my family who has any credit so I'm always the person everyone in the family comes to for answers. I'm trying to help my aunt with understanding and fixing information reported on her CR. She & her husband are wanting to build a home on land they own but she has encountered a few problems she wants to clear up before applying for a loan. We pulled a CR from all 3 CA's and there was a tax lien showing on 2 of the reports as unpaid. Neither CA has the same amount of the lien. She didn't know why or what it was for. She went to the County to inquire what and why. The County Recorder told her it was a lien for her "husbands" unpaid income taxes from back in 1996, however it was paid. They gave her a receipt stating it was paid and told her it would remain on "her" history permanently. I have searched all over and can't find any information similar to this situation. Any help would be appreciated.  
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to the Forum!

Income tax Public Records stay on for 7 years after paid.

It is listed under public records right? The balance shows as Zero?

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act ( http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/031224fcra.pdf ), Section 605 (a)(3) states that CRAs cannot report "...Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years." There is an exception to the rule if the tax owed is more than $150,000.

So once the tax is paid in full, then it should be deleted 7 years from that point.

If it was paid off more than 7 years ago, and it is still on, there are ways to get it corrected and removed.

Edit to mention Timothy is a faster typer.

Message Edited by llecs on 04-17-2008 10:17 AM
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for responding! I just found this same information, thanks to the posts on here. It's showing unpaid on one report and no status on the other. One amount is $980 the other is $850. I'm still curious as to if it is legal for this to be reported on "her" when it's actually her "husbands" paid debt? Guess maybe it's because the file married on taxes. It also didn't state what type of tax lien it was personal, property, IRS federal or IRS state. Very confusing to me as I have never encountered anything like this. Even more confusing for her since she has never bothered to educate herself on credit scoring & report, before planning to build this house.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update to aunt's "paid" tax lien from 1995 that was reported in 1996 and paid in 1997. She finally got a copy from the tax office/ public affairs showing that it was paid. Call the state tax depatment this morning and the guy told me that it should be reported as satisfied/resolved to CRA. I told him that it wasn't being reported as resolved or paid and both EX & TU reports were different amounts. He said that even with it being paid it would still be reported as a public record but show as paid. I told him that according to the FTC section 605 A (3) that it's supposed to be removed after 7 years of being paid and it has been 11 years and not reported as paid. He told me to send copy that she got from public affairs and send it to CRA's and they have to remove it because the tax office had nothing to do with the CRA's......... so now I guess I have to do their work for them and I'm not even on state gov payroll! Now, should she DV ( in hopes the tax office will not validate )the tax lien with the cra's or send copy of this document and ask for removal because of age?

Message Edited by Bran9192 on 05-08-2008 06:57 AM
Message 5 of 7
Jesedmotherof5
Established Contributor

try to get a an application for with drwal of filed tax lein FORM 668 (Y) better to ask for it while in payment plan then after youve paid.  Im sending one out for my hubby today!
6/9/08 FICO TU 697 EX698 EQ 618uti 6% (once new accounts hit) BIZ- DUNS 80, EX 35
GOAL 2008- 700s+ new car
2010 BE a first time buyer
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response but I think it's to late for anything other than dispute with cra since it was paid on June 17 1997.
Transunion's online dispute investigation was so unuser friendly I had to call to dispute this. The lady I spoke to was very friendly and submitted the dispute by phone and even pulled my aunts hubby's report and disputed it on his as well and mailing copy of his report to us since we couldn't get it online. Hope experian is that easy to work with! Now all we can do is play the waiting game for this dispute.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.