Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Needs Help ...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie Needs Help ...

Just joined this site and I'm now addicted. Just got married and looking to up my score for a home purchase in two years. I have a low 600 and would like to get to the 700 range within two years. Brief background: I was not financial responsible for the greater part of my twenties. Racked up cc debt, sent to collections (for really small amounts), payed late on many accounts, and was an overall degenerant in regards to preparing for my future. I had to enter a DMP (CCCS) in 2002 to help me get out of the hole I had dug for myself. Questions: In three months, I will out of my DMP. I have one more card to pay off (BoA). Currently, the account will close once I have a zero balance. Any chance that I can call BoA and have them keep this account open? I have two CA payoffs (that show no opening date on my credit report). Should I write a GW letter to see if they will remove the info from my report? One is for $69 and the other is for $345. What about the fact that they don't show an opening date? Should I send GW letter to all the creditors that I've missed payments on? How many do they typically remove? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie Needs Help ...

It wouldn't hurt to try a GW letter. Nothing guarantees whether or not they will agree to remove it. But it definately worth a try. good luck!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, check out Tuscani's threads on GW. very helpful indeed.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

And yes, call BofA before you pay off and ask about keeping the account open.

I have nothing but disdain for them, but I'm sure they'll be nice to you Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just called BoA. They will not re-open my account. Credit will surely take a hit when the account is closed (I've had the card since the late 90's).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.