Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie Questions

You describe one of your derogs as something you will be addressing via a PFD.  That abbreviation is most often used as a strategy for a collection (Pay For Delete).  Is that right?

Collections I think can take 7.5 years to fall off, as opposed to lates which fall off in 7 years.

The date in question is the Date of First Delinquency.  Here are a few links that may help you:

http://www.creditnet.com/blog/credit-repair/dofd-why-it-matters

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/how-to-determine-accounts-original-delinquency-date/

I am not an expert in derogs, but others may be able to help you further, especially if you visit the Rebuilding Forum.

Since you have a specific need for credit (car loan in fall 2019) I would let that drive everything and apply for no credit cards of any kind until after you own the car.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you explain why I should close the store cards? These are stores I truly shop at & I enjoy the extra perks I get from having their card. I can see closing MattressFirm since I only got it to take advantage of zero financing. I shop a Pier 1 & VS all the time. I could give up J Crew & Kohl’s but wouldn’t that be bad since I just opened them? 

All cards are at zero with the exception of Chase United (my main card) & mattress firm which is where my 30% UT falls.

If they are truly hurting me then I’ll let them go, but I don’t understand why they are hurting if they are PIF.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the misuse of terminology. Yes, I have 1 collection which I paid & will be sending a GW this week. Paid before I knew about negotiating PFD. The other collection has a $700 balance which I’m willing to pay but going to try and get the PFD ASAP

Message 13 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you explain why I should close the store cards? These are stores I truly shop at & I enjoy the extra perks I get from having their card. I can see closing MattressFirm since I only got it to take advantage of zero financing. I shop a Pier 1 & VS all the time. I could give up J Crew & Kohl’s but wouldn’t that be bad since I just opened them? 

All cards are at zero with the exception of Chase United (my main card) & mattress firm which is where my 30% UT falls.

If they are truly hurting me then I’ll let them go, but I don’t understand why they are hurting if they are PIF.

Don't close the store cards.  You should not close any account unless it has a yearly/monthly fee.  It's ok to use them and they help your FICO score by adding to your AAoA and their limits help your score too.  Also some of those cards may be backed by larger companies like Synchrony which could help you down the road in getting say a Sams Master Card which is a Synchrony product.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My comments in blue below.

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you explain why I should close the store cards?

You might have missed it earlier when I wrote this:

The insurance industry uses a non-FICO model which penalizes you for having store cards.  If you get a huge value from having a store card, then keep it open, but the default should be to consider closing any particular store card. 

Since it is a non-FICO model it won't hurt your your FICO score to have store cards.  But it could hurt your insurance score, which could in turn cause your insurance premiums to be more costly.

If you live in Massachusetts, Hawaii, or California, then insurance companies cannot pull your credit report.

These are stores I truly shop at & I enjoy the extra perks I get from having their card. I can see closing MattressFirm since I only got it to take advantage of zero financing. I shop a Pier 1 & VS all the time.

What extra perks are you thinking of?  Those stores also take major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc.).  And it is not hard to get no annual fee major credit cards with good rewards.

I could give up J Crew & Kohl’s but wouldn’t that be bad since I just opened them? 

No, it would not be bad.  Bear in mind that my advice was to begin thinking about getting rid of store cards in six months (but in my opinion there was no need to think about it now).  And I just suggested it was something to consider, not a definite thing to do.  I also mentioned that a particular store card might give you a huge benefit, in which case you might decide to keep it.  (An example might be a Target card with a 5% cash back rewards package.)

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about that!! Def missed the insurance part. I have to honestly say that isn’t a factor for me since I receive excellent health benefits from my employer & great auto/renters rates from a company my employer has a membership with. They even pay me a dividend at the end of the year. 

I usually take full advantage of triple point days & early access to deals by being a card member for those stores. 

My United charges a yearly fee but since I travel 2-3 times a year and they have a Hub in my airport I def get more in benefits than my $95 yearly fee.. between checked bag fees, priority boarding & upgrades, that card has become my fave. 

Greatly appreciate your your insight.. I will see how these next 12 months play out while I sit in the garden & hopefully watch my numbers grow

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good.  If you are confident that your low-ish credit scores couldn't be affecting your premiums then there's no reason to close the store cards.  I am a little surprised that your auto insurance company doesn't use credit reports in setting premiums but it is possible that they do not.  And if you feel strongly that you get a big value from any card, then of course keep it.

As far as your "next 12 months" plan for gardening, that will be a big help.  Personally I'd can't see a reason not to extend the gardening until after you own the car.  If you get more cards in (say) June of 2019, you might find that your scores drop enough so that you fail to get best rates on the car loan (Sept 2019).  Best rates on the car would be my chief goal -- unless you have a home purchase planned in the next two years.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m sure the company does, but my yearly premium dropped by $300 when I moved over to them from Geico so I’m more than happy with what I’m now paying.. 

I agree that I should stay in the garden while I wait to change my car.. going from financing to leasing and I know leases require better scores so I def will not be applying for anymore cards for quite some time. 

Chief goal is definitely upgrade my car so only SP CLI’s for quite some time. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.