cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure how to feel about Credit Karma....some good, some bad.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure how to feel about Credit Karma....some good, some bad.

CK has been pretty good about reporting new accounts and balances, but my experience with them has been lackluster the past 4 or 5 updates. My scores have tanked with them over the past few reviews, even though my balances have been going down, whilst my credit lines have increased. I have now dropped over 50pts over my TU and Experian reports, according to them. My Myfico scores here  have remained pretty consistent. This leads me to believe that CK plays a very strange game. Yes I know they aren't real scores, but yet I wonder what makes them report that way? They are losing credibility with me fast. If I were paying them, they would be fired. lol

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Not sure how to feel about Credit Karma....some good, some bad.

As always, you cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model.  Different algorithms are used and you should expect different results.  Different models can certainly trend differently given how they evaluate report data differently.  We really can't say much beyond that given that none of us knows the specifics behind all the algorithms out there.

To determine the cause of any scoring change you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.  You mention balances and limits but what else has changed?

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I know they aren't real scores, but yet I wonder what makes them report that way?

VantageScores are certainly real.  They're just not relevant unless you know for certain that you have a creditor that acutally uses them in their credit decisions.  Don't rely on such oversimplications such as "real", "fake", "accurate", etc.  Even a FICO may not be relevant if a creditor does not use that specific model.

@Anonymous wrote:

They are losing credibility with me fast. If I were paying them, they would be fired. lol

If you're reling on VantageScores to determine your FICO's then you're the one doing it wrong.  VantageScores are not designed to mimic FICO's.  They are marketed as an improved scoring model.  Whether or not they are isn't something that I can really determine.  They cannot be better as claimed if they simply replicate an existing FICO model.

Additionally, VantageScores are not a CK product.  CK just provides them.

You can, however, certainly rely on CK for reviewing your TU and EQ report data.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.