cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification from Experian about closed USAA card?!

tag
WarthogWrangler
Contributor

Notification from Experian about closed USAA card?!

Got a notification today from Experian saying one of my USAA credit cards had been closed. The notification date was the 18th which is the same day my USAA card reports.  I freaked out and looked an there's no new closed accounts on my file. I logged in to USAA and both cards are still open and active.  I even used them for small purchases today to make sure.  What gives? Anyone else get a random notification like that? 

Message 4 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

Re: Notification from Experian about closed USAA card?!

I think it could be an error with reporting, my USAA CC all three on TU show close by USAA and I called them and said that the accounts are open and fine and she also said she has other calls saying the same thing don't know what is going on.

Message 1 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

I think it could be an error with reporting, my USAA CC all three on TU show close by USAA and I called them and said that the accounts are open and fine and she also said she has other calls saying the same thing don't know what is going on.

@Cory88  The same thing happened to me with USAA -- received an alert from TU stating one of my USAA accounts was closed by credit grantor  -- called USAA and the account is open and fine (the account hasn't yet updated to Experian and Equifax but I hope it reports correctly on them).   Glad to see someone else had the same issue -- did you open disputes with TU to have it fixed or are you just waiting it out?   

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 29
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@Cory88 wrote:

@Cory88  The same thing happened to me with USAA -- received an alert from TU stating one of my USAA accounts was closed by credit grantor  -- called USAA and the account is open and fine (the account hasn't yet updated to Experian and Equifax but I hope it reports correctly on them).   Glad to see someone else had the same issue -- did you open disputes with TU to have it fixed or are you just waiting it out?   

No, I'm just waiting it out. It's not that much of an issue for me as I have a lot of other accounts and not applying for anything right now, if it would have reported that I was late or any negative and I was not then I would have done a dispute on it.

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a CMS hiccup.  Does the account through your EX match what the alert is showing (the account closed)?  Have you looked at the account from another CMS on the other bureaus?  For example, you could see with CK how it looks on TU/EQ. 

Message 5 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

Mine did the same. Account actually shows as Closed (by credit grantor) on both TU and EQ reports.  Received the alert from Experian that says it was closed but my Experian report shows it open. 

First alerted to it yesterday by TU and then today but EQ and EX. Confirmed with USAA that the account is open and in good standing.  So I submitted a dispute via USAA asking them to correct it on TU  and EQ. 

There was something wrong with the way USAA reported their accounts.  Another forum member mentioned the same happening yesterday but only on TU at that time. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like a CMS hiccup. 

I wish this were the case, BBS. This - at least in my case - is an actual issue of the account literally being closed on two out of the three bureaus (see my post above). Confirmed by viewing my reports on multiple sources including ACR.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 7 of 29
WarthogWrangler
Contributor

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I don't have access to my real time credit reports for TU or EQ and I haven't gotten any notifications yet from Experian for those two they usually give me notifications when there's a change in them but I can only pull those reports once a month.  How did USAA screw that up so badly? 

Message 8 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@WarthogWrangler wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I don't have access to my real time credit reports for TU or EQ and I haven't gotten any notifications yet from Experian for those two they usually give me notifications when there's a change in them but I can only pull those reports once a month.  How did USAA screw that up so badly? 

You can sign up for Transunion True Identity and get free daily report pulls.  Nothing free for EQ tho - that i know of.  You can also pull your reports from Annualcreditreport.com (ACR) free every week.   

Mine updated on TU yesterday and then today for EX and EQ -  so you may want to pull your ACR tomorrow to check - or check TU now via their site. 

Idk how USAA messed this up but I sure hope they fix it in short order.  Please report it to them after checking your other reports if they show the account closed. ..they need to know it may be a wide-spread issue that occurred with their mid-december reporting. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad between the two of you that you've identified the issue as being USAA-related.  Sounds like they've got to get their act together!

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.