Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK, so if I ask my mom to let me be a user for her credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, so if I ask my mom to let me be a user for her credit card

and she has near perfect credit and i have a 484, will that automatically give me all her positive crfedit history for that card? if she adds me this year, will i get all the years that its been open posted to my credit?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, and yes. It can help a bunch, especially if the acco...

Yes, and yes.

It can help a bunch, especially if the account has been around a while.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will give you the positive history; however, remember...

It will give you the positive history; however, remember that bad credit + good credit does not equal bad credit. Your score should go up, but don't expect your score to be great, especially if you have some negative info on your report (which 484 seems to imply).
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And there is risk if your mom suddenly doesn't pay. My cr...

And there is risk if your mom suddenly doesn't pay. My credit was wrecked initially when my mom and I had a joined Amex account.....and she didn't pay her bill....... Tracy
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your score is 484, you don't have much to lose, since...

If your score is 484, you don't have much to lose, since you'll never get approved for credit cards or anything else that would show responsible use of credit and perhaps raise your score. If your mom is stable and responsible, I say go for it. You can always get yourself taken off in four or five years when your own credit history builds enough momentum to not need the assist anymore.
Message 5 of 6
yoreljm
New Contributor

I asked people to add me to their credit cards, and all t...

I asked people to add me to their credit cards, and all the information for the specific accounts were reported on my credit report. When I checked my credit score a few years ago, it was in the 400s. about a year or 2 ago, I asked people to add me to their good accounts and my credit score raised to 600s. I even got approved for my own credit cards!

You will not get your mom's credit, just the information for the specific account since it was opened. And using some mystic formula that no one knows, your score will be calculated. Also creditors will know that you are merely the authorized user, but is should still help your credit rating.

One way of building your account is to get a savings secured loan, which is great because the account will be in your name. I have one of those accounts and it is great. This is why:

The loan is for $600, so they put a hold on $600 of my savings. However, everytime I pay on the loan, they remove the hold for the amount I paid. So, when I pay $50, they reduce the hold from $600 to $550. Basically, you dont have to wait for the entire period of the loan to get back your money! Therefore, you can use the same $50 to make the payments each month!

A secured load is a great way to improve your credit over time. If you have any charge off, you should take care of that.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.