cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Paid Collection Action Reported TODAY

tag
ambersmom

Old Paid Collection Action Reported TODAY

Hi everyone - I hope you can help. In April 2015, I paid a collection agency for a legitimate $193 medical bill from November 2014. Today I noticed that the CA just reported it to Equifax, causing my score to drop. It shows that the account has been paid. My question is - can they wait this long to report it? I don't dispute the charge, I just dispute they are reporting it now, especially since I took care of it asap.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

V

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Paid Collection Action Reported TODAY

Yes, it is proper..

The standard is that the debt collector must have had legitimate collection authority at some point in time.

There is no timeliness period within which prior adverse items must be reported to a CRA.

The CRAs are required to discontinue inclusion of a reported collection no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

There is no exclusion or deletion provision based on any other time period.

Message 2 of 4
ambersmom

Thank you for this information. Very useful. As an update, I called the CRA today and they said they had already scheduled it for removal on the next reporting cycle. I’ll be watching for it to fall off. But good to know they were within their rights to report it.
Message 3 of 4
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@ambersmom wrote:
Thank you for this information. Very useful. As an update, I called the CRA today and they said they had already scheduled it for removal on the next reporting cycle. I’ll be watching for it to fall off. But good to know they were within their rights to report it.

I had this same thing happen to me. Paid a debt from a few years ago to a collection agency, but a different collection agency placed it on my report after I had already paid. I simply called them and said hey, I already paid this with a different collection agency, can you guys please remove it? They said ok sure and it was gone within a couple of days.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.