Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old negatives coming back to haunt you.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old negatives coming back to haunt you.

I have been diligently striving to re-build my credit after a divorce and business failure in 2002, when my score dropped to 440! Today I am back in the low 600s, but recently two old accounts in collection, originated in 2001, have re-appeared on my credit as new accounts, from the same creditor. It hasn't afected my score as yet, but does this mean the creditor can "reset the clock" on these items and start the seven year limit all over? My thoughts are that they have seen my improving financial condition and are making a last ditch effort to collect before the original time limit runs out. Anyone have a similar experience?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, whats the date of last delinquency on your report?...

Okay, whats the date of last delinquency on your report?  It is still a valid debt because it was not due to be removed til seven years from the original delinquency.  I'm not sure if you opened of deffaulted in 2001 if the answer is defaulted it should still come off your report in 2008.  It can be reentered into your report as often as they like as long as the information is accurate and it is not beyond the 7 yrs reporting limit.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Brammy

I appreciate and value your input, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject. Those two accounts went into default in 2001, and "date of last activity" is shown as May and July 2001, respectively. I think MyFico threw me on this as I got an alert that two new accounts had been added, in reality it was, as you say, the old accounts dusted off. If it were that easy to renew these old accounts,  nobody would ever get out of debt!
Message 3 of 5
antredd67
Contributor

Phone Collection Bills Added to my Credit Report

I had to cancel my Pacific Bell residential phone service because after selling my home in 2003, I was moving to an area where Pacific Bell did not provide residential phone service for it's customers. 

In order to cancel my PacBell service, the PacBell's customer service rep told my wife that she  had to pay the bill over the phone in order to prevent it from going into collections.  She had them debit the balance due out of our checking account.

Guess what? The balance my wife paid over the phone was still sent to collections.  I found out about this almost two years later when I was in the process of getting another mortgage, and my fico score dropped to the low 600s as a result of the new collections added to my credit report.

What makes this so disturbing is that when I notified the Collection Company (Asset Collection Company to be exact), and faxed them proof that the bill was paid or debited from my checking account, they would not remove the collection. They then wanted me to go to a notary to have a form signed saying that the statement showing that the bill was paid or debited from my checking out was truely mine. I was then thinking kiss my black...bleep..bleep..bleep.

I disputed that collection bill on all 3 CBs and still no results.  Every 3 to 6 months, they update this collection file on my credit report, but it doesn't ding me as bad as it did when they first started reporting it in July 2003.  I am going to sit tight and let it automatically remove from my profile in 2010, because if I try to pay it or settle it, it will ding me and update as now a paid collection. NOW I DON'T WANT THAT.

Not to be too wordy (ha, ha, ha, ha) but this also happened to my mother in law when she cancelled her residential phone service with Verizon.  This is a woman who has an 825 Fico score, never was late on any of her bills, yet Verizon says that she didn't pay her last bill too.  I am seeing a pattern here with phone companies and cancelling your service with them.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you talked to an attorney?  If you have proof that t...

Have you talked to an attorney?  If you have proof that this debt was paid and proof of those communications looks like you have a valid right to sue.  If you would like to try again contact Pacific Bell advise them that you have sent poof of payment to their collettion agency and to remove it from you credit report.  They have the right to do that.  I had the same situation with Bell South and Calvary Portfolio Services.  I contacted the FTC and shortly thereafter received a letter notifying me that the collection would be removed from my file.  If you noticed me posting about a collection on my report in error, that's the one.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.