Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One account not reporting to Equifax

tag
dlm0820
Contributor

One account not reporting to Equifax

I looked at my reports from all 3 CRA's again today and noticed something odd about my lenght of credit history.  On TU and Experian, they are right, but on Equifax it is 5 years short.  The reason for this is that Equifax does not show an account that I opened in 1994, but closed in 2004 and had late payments on.  Obviously, I don't want those late payments to show on the Equifax report, althought the oldest is two years ago, but I do want the credit history part of it on Equifax. 

So, how would I go about resolving this?  Do I leave it alone because if I bring it to their attention it might hurt my score on EQ, or do I write to them and have them look into it so that they can put it on my file and up my lenght of credit history?

I don't know if anyone came across this before, but I'll take any answers given.

Thanks
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

All credit bureaus do not necessarily report all files....

All credit bureaus do not necessarily report all files.  I have ten years of Hist on Eq that is non-existent on the other two.  Those just didn'treport to the other two
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Provide them with proof of past credit...

From what I understand, if you provide the credit bureau with proof of your missing account and payments in most cases they will update your report to reflect the account. For example, if the account happened to be a Citi credit card, call Citi and request a letter of credit reference. They are required to provide this to you at your request. You should then receive the letter in 5 to 10 days or so. Once you receive that, make a copy and send it to the credit bureau in question along with instructions to add the account to your record (I believe there are helpers on this site that explain how to take up disputes with a credit agency). Do this for any and all accounts that you would like to be reflected on that report. Now, just because you do this does not mean that the bureau will continue to be updated to reflect future payments on that account. It most likely would not. However, if you're looking to buy a home or car in the near future and you think the account's history would help improve your chances of getting a good rate, this may be worth the effort. In the future, before you do business with a credit lender, ensure that they report information to all 3 of the major credit agencies. If this account is a revolving account (credit card), I would recommend switching to a card from a reputable bank (Chase, Citi) that reports to all 3 agencies so that you can avoid this in the future and ensure that your timely payments are building or maintaining a strong credit history.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops...

Sorry, I got ahead of myself and didn't read the part about the account being negative. That's a really tough call. If I remember correctly, and these numbers are close but may be off by a couple of percent, your payment history is 35% of your credit score while the length of your credit history is 10-15% of your credit score. So, logic would suggest that any gains in the length of your history by adding the account would not be significant in comparison to the hit you would take for the late payments. Here's where it gets tricky...with the late payments being 2+ years old, if none of them were 90 days late or greater, they would not likely play a big factor in your score. There's an article on credit.com somewhere that you should read which I cannot currently find a link to. Regardless, most credit scoring systems measure the likelihood that you will become 90 days late or greater on some debt in the future. It just so happens that being 90 days late in the past has a strong correlation with being 90 days late again. Thus, many systems treat being late for 90 days as harshly as a collection record or a past bankruptcy. In other words, it only really hurts you to be 30 days or 60 days late if the missed payments were recent (so long as there weren't a lot of them). The farther out those missed payments get, the less they effect your credit score. OTOH, if you have a 90 days late on your record or greater, those are going to hurt you for the entire 7 years those missed payments are on your report. So, what effect would any of this have on future applications for credit? Well, if you're applying for a mortgage they are likely to check all 3 agencies and they'll see the dings regardless. If you're applying for a credit card, many lenders check just one of the agencies. There are boards online that you can search through where people post their applications for credit and which credit reports were pulled. So, if your Equifax record happened to be better than the other two and you needed to apply for a credit card, you would want to maximize your chances by choosing one that checks Equifax. For example, the vast majority of people who apply for a Citi Platinum Select MasterCard have their Equifax record pulled and not the other two. Anyway, I hope this helps you out. The short of it is that reporting the account to Equifax is only likely to effect for better or worse your ability to obtain a credit card and possibly some car loans but not your ability or lack thereof to obtain a mortgage. There's no hard and fast way to determine if it's going to be in your best interest to report this account or not, but I hope the above explanation at least gives you something to think about.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope reporting your own hstory to EQ does not work, or an...

Nope reporting your own hstory to EQ does not work, or any other bureau.  Maybe it worked that way in the past.  I was told that each creditor is a member to an or all bureaus and that they would need to report it.  There are fees involved in the priviledge of reporting as well as accessing each custys accout through each bureau. 

Major CCs msut report to all three (agreement with MC and Visa)  but that doesn't go for installement loans of any other type of credit.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

" There are fees involved in the priviledge of repor...

" There are fees involved in the priviledge of reporting as well as accessing each custys accout through each bureau. "

Not quite - the process of reporting is indeed much easier if you have an account at the bureau, but this isn't a prerequisite per se. Generally the big difference is that if you have such an account, the bureau takes your word for what you report and only investigates when disputed. Without an account, it's the opposite - you have to verify whatever you submit before they rely on it.

Although in OP's case, it would be significantly easier to just request the creditor to report to them. If they're reporting to two, there shouldn't be an issue doing to all three.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's an interesting point of view.  Have you ever been...

That's an interesting point of view.  Have you ever been successful at getting a bureau to add an account based on info you provided?  I tried to get a 10k loan that is since paid off added to the other bureaus and got the same info from both EX and TransU that the creditor had to be a reporting member of THAT particular bureau in order for the account to be added.

Message Edited by Brammy on 03-23-2007 04:21 PM
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old do 30-day lates have to be to no longer have an e...

How old do 30-day lates have to be to no longer have an effect on your score?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

7 years. They will have some negative effect on your scor...

7 years.

They will have some negative effect on your score until they drop off and the tradeline becomes positive.

In this case, I'd do without the account with lates.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are rgiht that the lat will stay on for seven years b...

You are rgiht that the lat will stay on for seven years but the older they get the less impact they have on your score.  6 subsequent months of responsible credit behaviour can almost negate those effects according to what I heard.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.