Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One credit application resulted in two hard inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One credit application resulted in two hard inquiries

So on Black Friday I applied for financing with Google Store due to their sales, and that resulted in two inquiries from Synchrony Bank on my TransUnion report, one on 11/23 and the other on 11/24, When I call the bank they are adamant they only made one inquiry. I called TransUnion as well, and according to them the only way to remove an inquiry is to request a "deletion letter" from the bank. But then the bank says that something like that is only provided in cases of fraud, whereas this is a legitimate account that I opened myself.

I hate feeling so powerless - my credit score is quite good, approaching 800. I had four inquiries on my report, with one dropping off now in December, and now I suddenly have six, through no fault of my own.

Has this ever happened to anybody here? Do I have any recourse?

24 REPLIES 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: One credit application resulted in two hard inquiries

@Anonymous wrote:

So on Black Friday I applied for financing with Google Store due to their sales, and that resulted in two inquiries from Synchrony Bank on my TransUnion report, one on 11/23 and the other on 11/24, When I call the bank they are adamant they only made one inquiry. I called TransUnion as well, and according to them the only way to remove an inquiry is to request a "deletion letter" from the bank. But then the bank says that something like that is only provided in cases of fraud, whereas this is a legitimate account that I opened myself.

I hate feeling so powerless - my credit score is quite good, approaching 800. I had four inquiries on my report, with one dropping off now in December, and now I suddenly have six, through no fault of my own.

Has this ever happened to anybody here? Do I have any recourse?

Welcome to the forums!  If you've confirmed that your TransUnion credit report is indeed showing duplicate entries from the same lender for the same purpose (in this case, opening a new credit account) and they are unable or unwilling to remove the second one, you could consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/ 

As far as the impact of 1 new inquiry vs 2 new inquiries, the difference should be very tiny (like a point or two at most) or even zero depending on the rest of your profile.  The new account reporting to the credit bureaus will impact your scores much more than inquiries.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, K.

I am not so much concerned about the impact on my score, as the fact that I was planning to apply for a new Capital One card where they might now decline because of too many hard inquiries, and for a mortgage next spring after I have two more of the hard inquiries dropping off my report.

Message 3 of 25
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

Although I am not as well versed on credit scoring as K-in-Boston, I did have a similar issue with a car dealership.  My daughter works at a car dealership, and I helped her purchase a late model, used car in August from her employer.  In October, she wanted to check her credit score, and my name came up first.  She wasn’t thinking and clicked on mine.  I am eight months into building credit (I paid cash for everything since 1985), and have been watching my credit like a hawk.  I only lost a couple of points, and although my daughter called a rep from the credit agency in a panic, she instructed my daughter to have me complete a form to have it taken off my credit report.  I still haven’t done it, and have been on the fence as to whether or not to just forget it (since it had minimal impact on my scores).

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 4 of 25
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, K.

I am not so much concerned about the impact on my score, as the fact that I was planning to apply for a new Capital One card where they might now decline because of too many hard inquiries, and for a mortgage next spring after I have two more of the hard inquiries dropping off my report.

Wow, your experiences are almost identical to mine.  I had to apply and get approved for credit as I (last April) was planning on purchasing my brother’s condo.  I obviously didn’t qualify for ANYTHING, but I received great advice from the bank LO where I have a checking  and savings accts.  I started with Cap1 secured card, a TJMaxx cc, and then two Chase bank cards—in a addition to the car loan.  These were all applied and approved within 6 mos., and my report warns me of my high HP, and could be implied I am credit seeking.  My scores are now in the low 700’s (obviously lower than yours), and I applied for a mortgage on Friday.  I was approved for a conventional loan and it is just now going into escrow.  Of course, everyone’s credit is different, but if you keep your utilization low (which I suspect you do with your high scores), I don’t think you will have any issues.

Message 5 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Same happened to me. I'm still trying to get it straightened out. They took one and moved it to a day late, instead of removing it.
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine are already a day apart, though. 

What have you tried to do about yours?

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CAS2019, how are my experiences identical to yours? I see zero similarity.

Message 8 of 25
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CAS2019, how are my experiences identical to yours? I see zero similarity.

Hard pulls, wanting a mortgage.  It isn’t identical, but similar.  Perhaps I should have used a different word.   I have many HP’s and it didn’t adversely affect me in ways one would otherwise think, especially when thinking of a mortgage.  I just didn’t want you to see this is all doom and gloom.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CAS2019 wrote:

Hard pulls, wanting a mortgage.  It isn’t identical, but similar.  Perhaps I should have used a different word.   I have many HP’s and it didn’t adversely affect me in ways one would otherwise think, especially when thinking of a mortgage.  I just wanted you to see this isn’t all doom and gloom.

Thanks, that's what I am hoping for.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.