cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One more question about AmEx backdating.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question about AmEx backdating.

I just allpied and was approved for a AmEx Blue Cash CC 3/28/11, and I also had an AmEx I opened in 1991 that I PIF and closed in ??? I'd say sometime in early 2000, I called AmEx and asked them if I could have my acct. backdated, they were unsure, but today when I logged into my AmEx online Acct.....it says next to my name "Member since 1991"

Whats the benifit of having my account backdated within their system?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: One more question about AmEx backdating.

It will report on your CR as opened in March 1991 which means it will improve your AAoA (unless all of your accounts are over 20 years old).  If the card arrives and has a member since date of '11 on it, you can call and get a replacement card, but there's no reason to unless you just want your card to have the correct member date.  The date that is listing when you log on is the date that is going to show on your CR regardless of the date stamped on the front of your card.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by the AmEx Credit Bureau dept that if I could have my acct backdated to 91 it would only be within their system not on the CRA's. I wish you were right, maybe you are??? I would sure love it to be backdated on my CR's.

Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Mine reports the older year to the CRA's. Shows on all my reports; always has.

Wow, I hope all this anxious questioning doesn't cause AmEx to rethink back-dating. Not trying to criticize anyone here, but it's just not necessary to make all these phone calls. Let the thing show up on your report (with AmEx this can take up to two months), and if there's a problem, deal with it then.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, I hope all this anxious questioning doesn't cause AmEx to rethink back-dating. Not trying to criticize anyone here, but it's just not necessary to make all these phone calls. I was actually told by the AmEx Customer Rep to call the Credit Bureau dept. of AmEx to ask about this, I was only doing what I was told. Let the thing show up on your report (with AmEx this can take up to two months), and if there's a problem, deal with it then.

I was under the impression that the backdating was only within AmEx's system, at least thats what I was told by AmEx. I did not expect it to report to the CRA's as opened in 91, would be a plus if it did tho.

Message 5 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, I hope all this anxious questioning doesn't cause AmEx to rethink back-dating. Not trying to criticize anyone here, but it's just not necessary to make all these phone calls. Let the thing show up on your report (with AmEx this can take up to two months), and if there's a problem, deal with it then.

+1.  It's like the flyertalk motto, never call the airline.  To the OP, as Hauling suggested, wait a couple months for your report to update.  When my last card was issued, once they changed my member since date so that I could see the correct date online, it took a cycle or two before my report reflected the new date.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
tiger67
Regular Contributor

If it back dates in their system, it will report to the CRAs. It may take one or two billing cycles, but it will eventually show up. Congrats!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made one call to AmEx rep and asked about backdating and was told she was not really sure (but she did try a few things) and then suggested that I should call the Credit Bureau Dept. which i did, I just asked about backdating (never gave the credit bureau dept any of my info) and she told me that if it was backdated it would only be within their system, apparantly she was wrong

And when I logged into my online account today and saw member since 91 I had NO intentions of calling back and asking any questions, believe me, I did not want to bring any attention to this in case it was a mistake. So I also agree about not calling anymore, but I did have to call the once to ask to be backdated didn't I?

Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I made one call to AmEx rep and asked about backdating and was told she was not really sure (but she did try a few things) and then suggested that I should call the Credit Bureau Dept. which i did, I just asked about backdating (never gave the credit bureau dept any of my info) and she told me that if it was backdated it would only be within their system, apparantly she was wrong

And when I logged into my online account today and saw member since 91 I had NO intentions of calling back and asking any questions, believe me, I did not want to bring any attention to this in case it was a mistake. So I also agree about not calling anymore, but I did have to call the once to ask to be backdated didn't I?

Since they told you to do this, that was the right move. Smiley Happy

Like I wrote above, I wasn't trying to bash anyone. I just periodically fret about things. Smiley Wink

I think you'll see it show on your reports. Although AmEx has great CSR's, they don't all know the weird little ins and outs of how things appear on credit reports.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.