cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of the blue phone call for a debt over 5 yrs old?

tag
TeeGee
Contributor

Re: Out of the blue phone call for a debt over 5 yrs old?

Actually, my tax man, who is very legally orientated  has taken an interest in my predicament and has asked me to send information to him; re: the original bill, any reason why I still owed AFTER the original bill was paid by my insurance company, and copies of information showing the dip in my credit score.  I sent him screen shots of the alerts in my email from myfico, and what little material I have in writing I will send snail mail.  

I'm going to bite the bullet and just pay for a copy of my experian report and see what's there.  The alert itself gave the name of the CA and the amounts.  They wasted NO time ruining my credit from a score of 690 (even with high balances on my cards - which will be paid off next month) and once paid off, would surely bump me over the 700 mark.  Well enough to gain a good mortgage rate.  Now, it's down to 657.  

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Beginning FICO 630 ish EQ 732/EXP 735/TU 753 (Aug) Goal 800
Message 21 of 37
TeeGee
Contributor

I forgot to thank you for your advice - it's very good and I am going to see if there is a legal aid in my area as well.  Again, thanks!

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Message 22 of 37
paramed3
Regular Contributor

Listen I had a GF with 4000 and another one that was 3000 in hospital debt. I got the application from the hospital and after some months they totally dismissed it. They will want to know everything about you. Income and everything you own. She had nothing but it still took months but the hospital released the debt and it never went to collections. As far as the collection agency goes. It's been over 10 years since I had a bad debt and I still do not answer calls I do not know. Sucks to have to live like that but collection agencies can reset debt from what Clark Howard says on his radio show and I just ignore any calls. I get one and I act like I have not idea who they are calling for. I play dumb and have for years and everything has rolled off my reports. I just hope the SOL is gone for good. I still plan to live like this for another year or so until it has been 10 years on everything for sure or until I get a house I want to buy. 

I know your pain but the hospital can help. If you have income they may want some small payment I am not sure. They may see it takes it all to live and not want anything but they ask on the application if you are about to have any type settlement. I would lie. Like hell they have not lied to us in the past. Sucky life but welcome to capitalist america.

Starting FICO Score 2007: >> >> 533 -- God those were some Dark Days !!
Current >>>> 9-29-15 - (Experian 800 FICO-8 - (Equifax 798) - ( Transunion 808 )FICO Goals: 820-830 For all 3 or above
Ultimate Fico 850 x 3 Even if for a week Just to say I crawled out of the sewer and trust me it was the pits. I could not borrow a cent
Message 23 of 37
TeeGee
Contributor

In my original discussion with the creditor they made it very clear they wouldn't deal with me; I had no choice but to deal with the CA.  I think in your case the account never went to collection, if I read it right.  Mine did.

Message 24 of 37
TeeGee
Contributor

For anyone interested, I sent all my paperwork to an attorney and may appear there was a violation.

Message 25 of 37
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Good Luck. It's always better to be proactive in the situation instead of ignoring it. And I'd be willing to bet that most Junk Debt Buyers (JDB) are going to cave in the event of contact from a consumer attorney.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 26 of 37
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Did you fill out a mortage application before you were contacted by the CA the first time.  Sometimes CAs wait to see people fill out a loan application and then try to collect figuring they have some leverage.  You should opt out.  http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0148-prescreened-credit-and-insurance-offers

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Opting-Out-Mortgage-process/td-p/1998145

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 27 of 37
TeeGee
Contributor

Oh my gosh THAT is probably what started this whole mess!!   Will correct immediately.  

Message 28 of 37
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Opting out doesn't keep a CA from getting your CR.  It just stops prescreening offers.

Message 29 of 37
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Opting out doesn't keep a CA from getting your CR.  It just stops prescreening offers.

Doesn't it stop them from getting notified about changes to your report?  I know they can still access your report if they have permissible purpose, but I thought they would buy alerts of some sort from the CRAs of activity on your report, and that opting out would prevent them from purchasing that information?  That was what was included in the thread I linked.  Is that not accurate?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.